Ooooops..It's not day 18 its day 20! Updated Pics page 4

I have to know...
How do you move the eggs without cooling down the incubator and cooling off the eggs too much?

I have some of the plastic egg trays that I have used in my sportsman cabinet incubator, I didn't care too much for them.

I have also heard of people cutting holes in the bottom of the pulp egg flats and using them to put their eggs in for the entire incubation time.

I am really curious as to how you kept everything warm enough?
I don't think I could move 3 trays of 80+ eggs each, fast enough to make sure they don't get too cooled down.

Jean

They won't get to cold. REMEMBER the hens get off the nest to eat/drink/poo
big_smile.png

170146622.jpg

Quote:
Just a quick update - My hatch failed.... I don't believe it was due to the egg carton. I thought I had originally had two that had quit developing. Turns out I had three. The other seven eggs pipped the air cell and died. No liquid to drown on. I think that it was the temps and humidity. I use a brinsea therm with a water weasel in the bator but in the hatcher I've been using a flukers. As I was cleaning it yesterday I noticed that it was warmer than i thought it should be in there. I tested the temps against my brinsea and it was registering 102 and 30% humidity. My flukers said 99 and 76% humidity. I changed the battery and it began registering correctly. So I think I may have cooked the little guys and dried them out. I have eggs to go in the hatcher again next week so i'll try it the same way and we'll see the results. I should have known to change the battery. I change the batteries in everything else regularly and haven't changed the batteries in the flukers since I got it last year
he.gif
duh..

How do you move the eggs without cooling down the incubator and cooling off the eggs too much?

I take my time and am not worried about them cooling off. I pull the turner full of eggs out and set it on a chair. Then I put the cartons in and one by one I candle the egg looking for movement....then put them in the carton. The process takes about 10 to 15 minutes. The internal temp doesn't change that much...

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies - Great picture! Isn't it neat how the open the lid and stand up!

MB....sorry to hear about your hatch. I have three thermometers in mine...I'm just paranoid that one would be wrong. My first hatch I only had one and out of 25 eggs I got one chick....temps were off... Good luck with you hatch next week!​

I didn't think to ask, I bet you all have your incubators in the house don't you?
Mine are in a building outside with no additional heat. That is why I was so concerned about them cooling down while moving them.

Jean

Can you use any egg carton for this? I don't have the paper ones or plastic I have the foam ones. I think I want to try my first hatch like this. Makes sense, the rolling around deal.
Karen

Sure, I think any type carton will work.

As for the eggs getting cold, keep in mind the hens get off the eggs every day. My broody got off the eggs for about 10 minutes once a day. So you should be fine.

I have just moved 4 of Jody's EE's into the hatcher, tonight is the end of day 18. They've candled well up to now, as well as a total newb like me can tell. They are in an egg carton, so the experiment continues..

Back
Top Bottom