Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Quote:
LOL, morning Sam!

Spring is just arund the corner, the Carolina Wrens are looking for places to nest on our front porch. They choose the darnedest places- last year I had a bucket hanging from a post sideways, and they built a nest in it. The year before, they nested in a backpack I had hung outside to air out. Birdhouses everywhere, but nooooooo, we want some upscale digs!

The Wrens love nesting in the hanging baskets I put on the front porch. Guess what I saw flying through the backyard this morning? A male Bluebird... gorgeous! There is a pair of Mourning Doves that hang out on top of the chicken coop/shed and feed beneath the bird feeders. Last year a pair nested in the Leyland cyprus trees, probably the same pair. I love birds!
smile.png

The Bradford Pears in my yard are absolutely loaded with huge buds... Spring is near!!!!!
celebrate.gif

(Pssssst, is Opa's first name really Sam?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I watched a pair of "gate" birds fly in. One of my sons thought sandhill cranes sound like someone opening a rusty gate so I can't help but think "gate bird" when I hear their raucous call. With the turkey toms strutting through the yard and now the arrival of the sandhill cranes spring can't be very far off. I still think that I will wait before storing the snowblower for the year. Mother Nature just might take that as a dare.

Last edited:
Quote:
Congrats! Please send some egg laying vibes my way. The horrendous amount of snow we have had up here has had the girls on vacation WAAAAAAAAy too long!

Robin'sBrood :

Quote:
LOL, morning Sam!

Spring is just arund the corner, the Carolina Wrens are looking for places to nest on our front porch. They choose the darnedest places- last year I had a bucket hanging from a post sideways, and they built a nest in it. The year before, they nested in a backpack I had hung outside to air out. Birdhouses everywhere, but nooooooo, we want some upscale digs!

The Wrens love nesting in the hanging baskets I put on the front porch. Guess what I saw flying through the backyard this morning? A male Bluebird... gorgeous! There is a pair of Mourning Doves that hang out on top of the chicken coop/shed and feed beneath the bird feeders. Last year a pair nested in the Leyland cyprus trees, probably the same pair. I love birds!
smile.png

The Bradford Pears in my yard are absolutely loaded with huge buds... Spring is near!!!!!
celebrate.gif

(Pssssst, is Opa's first name really Sam?)

Yep.

Quote:
gig.gif
I am married to one of those Texans with the Skoal imprint on his rear! I had to move to Texas to to find my soul mate-outdoorsy, hunts, fishes, works with his hands and ain't afraid to sweat-he's a keeper! We'll be married 21 years in May.
Love the San Antonio area-hot, but really beautiful. Had a brother that lived in Dallas for years-really great for a big city-probably my favorite metro area(and I'm not a fan of cities-give me my Piney Woods any day!).

Quote:
Congrats! Please send some egg laying vibes my way. The horrendous amount of snow we have had up here has had the girls on vacation WAAAAAAAAy too long!

Sending them your way! We had about 3 1/2 feet of snow here in NY, so I know how you feel, and 4 days without power, it was a mess. Still cleaning up downed trees and such. We still have some snow, but it is melting and it is nice and sunny and warm! Its supposed to be near 60 here today!

Oh, by the way, I love Gary Larsen, The Far Side!

Back
Top Bottom