Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Just wanted to say a quick Howdy to everyone, HOWDY!
frow.gif

I'm am getting ready to drive across the valley, about a hour +- 15 min. drive to pick up a leather chair and ottoman, I hope I can get my son to go with me or let me use his truck. Wish me luck.

Nice photos Highlander, I love rolling hills and mountains, Sigh
love.gif

Pelican49, That must have been a trip dealing with the owl.
ep.gif

Hi PK, sounds like you are staying busy. Miss talking to you.
hugs.gif

Hope you all have a super day
thumbsup.gif

Good morning!
wee.gif
It's Saturday!

Highlander, beautiful pictures! Say hi and Happy Birthday to your sister for me, please.

Good heavens, this thread really slows down without Opa!

Woody, Pati, glad to see you popping in.

We are having a very rare real autumn here, it's been lovely for almost 2 weeks. I have Cochin eggs in the incubator and more being shipped to me tomorrow. From Michigan, no less!
wink.png

I am excited about hatching eggs, but at the same time nervous about brooding chicks in the house during the winter. They are so danged messy and noisy! But it's still better than brooding ducks, duckies are stinky!

smile.png
Hope everyone is well and happy.

Hey Ranchie, The weather has been extremely hot here for this time of year. We are all waiting for the other shoe to drop and bring us in some cold and snow.
I had chickens in my house all last winter and outside of a little dust, it was wonderful. My ol' rooster "Tiny Dancer" would start crowing about 4 am and i loved it. Definately not as bad as stinky ol' ducks. been there and done that years ago.
I'm fully retired now so life is good. I expect to spend my SS on wax worms and fast women.
wink.png
Getting more chickens in the spring. My old girls will be stewing hens by next fall about the time my new ones start laying. I've got BO'S now and might change over to brown leghorns. Do they lay brown eggs?? Later

It's wonderful, PK. Now i'll have more time to devote to more chickens. Right now i have 9 BO's and 10 Seramas. Figure to get 15 more laying type hens in the spring. I'm having good luck selling all my eggs.
cool.png

Quote:
Because Opa's Place without Opa is like a broken pencil................................ pointless. Ok, smooshy moment over.
tongue.png

Quote:
Umm yeah, thanks for that. What Ranchie failed to mention is that my lovely hubby brought me a pressie a couple of days ago - some fertile Khaki Campbell X eggs. So in the bator they went. I am still concerned about the temps - I am using a Brinsea Spot Check and basically ignoring the bator readout. Hopefully this will give me better results than with the Orp eggs. I would love to fast forward 28 days now though!

Woody, I too have more demand for my eggs than I can keep up with. I will need to do something about that in the spring also. Some more leghorns would be good, my two lay every day without fail. I think there have only been 2 days since I got them in March when I didn't get an egg from each of them. But I would love some dark eggs in the basket too, I am leaning towards Wellies.

Ewwwwww, Highlander got smooshy. Going to scrape my shoe soles off now.....

I am enjoying the fact that she-who-had-no-sympathy-when-I-was-brooding-ducks-and-dealing-with-a-stinky-mess is now going to be reliving my eperience!
lau.gif
big_smile.png

Woody, I agree with Loco- I'm not retired, but once I quit a "normal" job I was a heck of a lot busier! All of the sudden there's a much longer to-do list!

Just talked to Opa, he's headed for the barn!

Got home a couple of hours ago and does it ever feel nice to be home. David called me before I got home to inform me that I've got to work tomorrow. Looks like he has me scheduled for a very busy week.

I realize that I am getting older and can't work as hard as I once did but this trip certainly made that abundantly clear. On Friday and Saturday I help Joe bring 1000 bales of hay off the field and but it in the loft. When ever possible he hires a friend of Elizbeths, single mother with 3 kids, to help around his place. The two older kids, a 12 year old boy and a 10 year old girl came to help her. As Joe baled hay, Morgan drove the truck pulling the hay wagon on to which we loaded the baled hay. The mother picked up on one side of the wagon while I grabbed the bales on the other side. I was amazed by how well those two could stack hay. After a while the mother had the boy replace me and I took his place stacking the bales. The 10 year old girl was tossing the bales up to me faster than I could stack. I'm embarrassed to say that I had to ask her to slow down. At the end of the day with my old bones sounding like a box of Rice Krispies, I made my way to a recliner and the kids left to go roller skating.

Back
Top Bottom