Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Evening folks! Took a bit of reading to catch up with everybody. We have been busy and exhausted and I had just been lurking.
hide.gif
Seems there isn't enough time to get everything done anymore. Momma will be 93 next week and everyday is a challenge of sorts....from clogged up toilets with wash rags (?? I have no clue) to endless questions repeated over and over; it seems to take its toll on our energy. She is still living in her own trailer; and today we went on an outing to Walmart and this was the first time she just could not walk all the way thru and I had to get a wheel chair for her. She was just glad to be able to sit down, but it was a sobering loss for me; just one more bit of her personal freedom that she has lost. But we survived and the trip seemed to really lift her spirits and she jabbered the whole time we were out and seemed happy.
I couldn't wait to get home to a cup of coffee and a comfy chair (hmmm...does that mean I'm getting old too????
old.gif
)
Otherwise hubby and I are doing well, celebrated our anniversary yesterday and looking forward to opening day of deer season on Saturday. Our granddaughter tagged out with a 7 point buck during youth season and is walking on air; would have been 8 points but one of the guards was broken off. Grandpa is kinda proud too..
Opa---what a tragic loss for your family of your familiar hunting grounds; so very sorry....I hope that you find a place before season opens and that you are rewarded with loads of venison!!!
smile.png

Todd...good to see you on this thread; some of the best folks around visit here.
frow.gif
to Highlander, MamaG, Lunachick, and everyone else I am forgetting to name!!
Hope that you all have a wonderful evening!! Hope to check in a little more often.....
Shirley

Shirley, be sure and congratulate your granddaughter for me. That is a pretty exciting accomplishment and both she and her grandpa have every reason to be proud. I would suggest that you ask her to write down everything she can remember about her experience. When she is older it will be something to add to that wonderful memory. I had my boys do that and it is something that now 30 years later they treasure. It added immensely to my own bank of memories as well, especially the title David placed on his composition, "My place on the wall".

Yesterday was cold, rainy, and extremely windy and I am curious to see how the tarping on the large fowl run faired. In previous years I used an extremely heavy piece of plastic from a discarded storage building. This year rather than struggle to get it stretched over the run I used a much lighter grade material. Before the sun set I could see that the pressure from the wind had it billowing up. After dark the wind increased and there was reports of wind damage throughout the area. So now I am starting to wonder about the wisdom of having used a lighter grade material.

Man, it was COLD this morning! The wind we had yesterday and this morning had my girls all up in dander about keeping warm. Only having four girls instead of 12 I had last year.....its going to be a cold season for them.

At least their waterer was not frozen yet but I know in due time, I will replace that waterer with the rubber bucket until it gets warm again next year. Still on my 50 lb bag of Flock Raiser and no eggs, they are taking a vacation this time and it would be late Jan or Feb when they will start laying again.

I hope I don't lose any more birds this winter. 2 LF Welsummers, one Wellie bantam and one Black Orp banty mom is all I have left. Hoping to get a few from a friend whose daughter lives near south of Arthur, IL and order some Spitzhaubens from Ideal and throw in a few EEs in the batch.

The breeders next year are going to be facing a bumper crop of customers wanting to buy chicks or started birds. Some have already sold out for next year. I have the feeling Whitmore Farm will be sold out sooner next year as well as some of the Wellie breeders.

The squirrels out there are very territorial and fighting for the cereal I dumped near the front porch. Mean little rascals!

I've had several contact me about purchasing Welsummer eggs but my hens have recently undergone a hard molt so egg production is pitiful.
Then I've already moved the roosters to their winter quarters so there will be no fertile eggs until spring. I may just have to hatch a bunch of Welsummer chicks in the spring.

Quote:
Opa, old buddy, I'm going to have to agree with Steffanie.. It looks like a good time to call in a few markes, and get the friends out there for a chainsaw party.. You can't get it all right away, but you might clear enough to use the area some before the season is over.. Good luck, and good hunting... Will...

Opa, please tell granny I said hi. The little chicken she gave me at chickenstock rides with me everywhere in my car. One of my winter projects this year is to make the feed sack totes she was showing me. I would give anything to be able to pick up the phone and call my grannie and gammie, they were wonderful and although gone for years I still miss them something awful.

Quote:
That is a wonderful idea!! I had journaled all I had been told, but in her own words would be a treasure. Thank you for suggesting it! I will be happy to tell her you send your congratulations. I did tell her that she set a pretty high bar for her mom and me....her mom is the only daughter in law I have that hunts and we have a friendly competition each year; so now we have been issued a new challenge to beat....by a tween!!!
barnie.gif
lau.gif

It was cold here this morning....killing frost for the first time and a gusty wind to make it feel even colder. Otherwise an unusually quiet day for us.

Hope all is well with everyone else........Shirley

Hello everyone. Even though I haven't posted here in a while, I need some advice from worldly wise elders like yourselves.

I have a crush on guy A, but I am currently dating guy B. Guy B is going through a few rough spots in life, so I feel bad about breaking up with him, and while I have tried twice in the past to do so, I always backed out at the last minute because I didn't want to cause him all of that heartbreak. Currently, I'm trying to ease out of the relationship with guy B so I can date guy A, who really, really likes me.

However, what I've realized after a few weeks of pondering on this subject is that, while I do indeed have a crush on guy A, what I want most in my life right now and later on is to be single and not bogged down by a relationship. However, I already promised guy A that I'd date him, and he sounds like he wants it to be really serious.

What should I do now? I don't want to lose either guy A or guy B, since they're both really great friends.

Sprite, this is one time that you must do what is best for you. You are, in the future, be taking care of lots of people. Now is your time. I'm glad my darlin' daughter has pm'd you and I'm sure her advise will be the best course for you.

Back
Top Bottom