Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

I have to agree with Sam. Now is your time to be free to do what you want. If you get married and have children in the future, then you will find that you have a lot of responsibilities to your family. Enjoy yourself now while you can. I am not saying it is not fun to be a wife and mother, it is, but it is also work at the same time.

It is hard to do what you want because you might hurt someones feelings, but you need to be true to yourself because you come first. Do what you think is right for you.

My birds have been quite remiss in their end of this chicken raising endeavor. They have just gone through a severe molt and egg production is way off. I'm not saying that it's insufficent but early I couldn't find Hope. I discovered she was down at the chicken coop with her hands held under a chickens butt.

I've been having the same problem, Opa. Most of my chickens haven't been laying as much as they used to, even with the added light we put in their coop. It's becoming a bit of a hassle, to be honest. Couldn't they have decided to stop laying after Thanksgiving?

You guys need to get ducks, mine are still laying like troopers!
smile.png

I've only had them for a year so I'm no expert and it depends on the breed too, but I'm getting 3-5 eggs every day from 5 ducks. My Khaki Campbell and Welsh Harlequin have laid an egg a day without fail since they started laying at the end of summer. The Cayugas don't lay so consistently but their eggs are prettier! Considering I'm only getting 5 eggs from 11 chickens I think it's pretty good going!

The biggest problem with duck and geese is that they somehow can convert a pound of feed into two pounds waste. They make chickens look neat.

Yep, there's no denying they are messy creatures but their cuteness makes up for it. And they are far better at foraging so they eat half the amount that chickens do, mine anyway. Have I convinced you yet?

Back
Top Bottom