Opening the coop

healingdeva

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 19, 2008
We have 4 - 6 week olds and 2 - 7 1/2 week old chicks. They were moved into the coop last weekend and had the light for the week. I finished their run on Friday and we've had beautiful weather all weekend. I took the opportunity to turn off the light and let them get used to sleeping in the dark and they've done great. And, they've had great fun during the day in their run.

Now, it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I'm curious if I should just keep the coop shut on bad weather days for now or open it every day and they'll decide when it's good to go outside?

Thanks, Victoria

you must be in the pacific northwest
smile.png

We had a great weekend and the rains coming back tomorrowl

If they can get to where they are warm they should be fine. Keep the draft off them for a couple more weeks. We are also in the Pacific NW and put ours out in the coop a couple weeks before it snowed and covered 3 sides to keep the wind out and also had a heat lamp in the bottom part until this weekend. We have a heat lamp in the roosting area where they go when they are cold that is on at night for them. We also built them a big 6'x8' back yard off their coop to hang out in. They are starting to like the rain, never did really take to the snow.

How large is the coop?
And can you cover the run so they chicks can get out into it without actually be rained upon? If you want to see something funny, open the coop and watch their reaction to the rain!
big_smile.png

Carla

The coop is 24 sq ft. I can cover the run but that will have to wait until tomorrow. The wind is howling through here and the view of me trying to put a tarp over in that wind might be as funny as their reaction to the rain. I'll have to open it up for a bit during the warmest part of the day tomorrow and watch.

I could spend hours watching them, they are so much fun. I have been threatening to setup a bench outside the run. My gut reaction was to protect them a bit longer but wasn't sure if that was the overprotective "mama" nature, or what they really needed. ;-)

mandomama, we have snow showers coming tomorrow night and on tuesday.
hmm.png
My girls will not be pleased as they have become used to their daily playtime outside.

If the weather is really bad I would not open the coop but I will let the older hands speak on this.

Back
Top Bottom