Opinion on this baby chick? Live or die?

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
UPDATE/EDIT: The chick seems to act normal, but it does have trouble finding food and water but it usually finds it. It also sometime falls out the side of the coop going through the chicken wire. The right eye seems to be a little better, and has no problems it's just a aligned a little weird. - It's eye seems small. But the left eyelid is a little bit swollen (it also has no feathers on the eyelid and its a eyelid is a sort of shade of white), not a lot, but maybe a cm out, or maybe less. Sometimes I will find the chicken having the eye open just a little bit for a while. I'm hopefully thinking it will get better. It still hangs with it's mother, and usually walks around with the other chicks. DO YOU THINK IT WILL GET BETTER AS IT GETS OLDER? WHAT CAN I DO?

Last edited:
Since the chick was sitting alone, away from mom and the other chicks, I would worry that something bad would happen to it.
I would bring the chick with the bad eye into the house and make it a temporary brooder....food, water, lightbulb for heat. But----I would also bring in another chick to keep it company. Single chicks do not do well, even if they're healthy.

Of course you shouldn't give up on it. Sounds to me like you have experience doing the right thing.

Best of luck

I had a chicken with one good eye and she did just fine.

As long as she is protected from preditors, just let her be. She may be a bit "directionally challenged" but other than that, it's just a bad eye.

Again, the issue is predators. If she is suseptible to danger, she is at a big disadvantage. Keep your eye on her as she grows up.

Geri

No predators. Thats out of the question. But I found the chick playing with the other chicks today, but it likes to hang around with mom a lot.

But it's horrible it can only see with one eye, and it's not opened really wide. Also, it looks like the eye goes back into the head on the side or something. I will try for a picture.

It sounds as though it is doing fine.

Why is it horrible? She has one good eye. If she were completely blind, that might be a problem for her.

I don't think it is as bad as you may feel. She is happy---eating, playing? Sounds good to me.

Best,

I can only hear out of one ear and I've done well for the past 55 years. I would give the chick every Chance you can. It's live is precious, especially to it.
smile.png

was this the chick that got bit up(?) by the pit bull. Maybe her bad eye is infected/damaged from that. If she needs treatment maybe she would be able to see. She sounds like a happy, normal chick otherwise. Please dont cull her. Maybe someone on this site would take her, if you want to do so.

Sgsf - you have posted this on other threads be careful of doing that.

As I said to you before and your not listening, it may just be conjunctivitus. You can get a cream for its eye from the vet, Or just do as I said wash it out regularly with baby cotten wool balls and make sure you do it away from her good eye with warm not hot water!!!!!

Please don;t get yourself all stressed over this. As I said before you are talking like she got hatched with no eyes!!!! It isn;t a problem if you treat her right she will be ok.
You should bring her in if the mom pushes her away because she will get cold and die and that would be kind of sad!!!!!! Do what the other poster said a put her into a brood box with a light for heat. the light should be suspended above the box so she can;t burn herself. 85 - 95 for the first week then drop the temp 5 degrees every weeks after that. It is better for her if she has a friend or failing that a stuffed soft toy as she will miss her mummy.

A gooey eye IS NOT REASON TO THINK OF CULLING YOUR CHICK!!!!!!!! SHE CAN SURVIVE VERY WELL INDEED WITH ONE EYE!!!!!!

As I have said before to you some chicks on here have hatched with no eyes and they have done well with a lot of love and care from their owners.
You have to listen to the advice and help given to you and try not to get all fussed up over this. Chicks are hardier than you think!!!

Oesdog -
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom