Opinions needed

lrayle

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 19, 2013
NC
I want 3 chickens to add to my flock and would like some opinions please. I am looking for a breed that is not aggressive and does not go broody a lot. I now have 2 black As and 2 bar rocks and 3 wel summers and 3 brahmas. Thank you ps the wel summers are leaving to loud and annoying

You're looking for a combination that is fairly uncommon in the chicken world. Most of the really calm and gentle breeds tend to be among the broodier breeds. You probably have about the best combination of temperament, quietness, and infrequent broodiness available with your Black Australorps. Two other breeds that would likely make a pretty good combination of these three characteristics are Dorkings and Jersey Giants. Black Sex Links are very friendly and rarely go broody, but they can be quite noisy. Wyandottes might fit the bill, but occasionally they can be aggressive. Some of the continental breeds such as Polish and Sultans possess all three of the qualities you're looking for, but because of their crests, they tend to get badly bullied by other standard breeds.

Back
Top Bottom