Opinions on a broody hen

Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect

I have three very persistent broody hens and it got me wondering...

What does everyone do when they have broody hens? I'm curious to hear people's creative solutions. Do you let them hatch? Give away the babies? Get them chicks to adopt? Try to break them?

Not sure what I'm going to do. Had a bit of a traumatic experience this year with a weak group of chicks I got from my local feed store. My heart still hurts but I don't want these girls to sit on empty nests forever.
If I don't have space for more birds, or it's the wrong time of year to have them, I break the broody. My broody breaker crate has been in use for the last 4-5 weeks, 4 broody hens broken(one of them twice).

If I don't have space for more birds, or it's the wrong time of year to have them, I break the broody. My broody breaker crate has been in use for the last 4-5 weeks, 4 broody hens broken(one of them twice).
That's my plan too. If I can't have chicks, why let them brood?

Come on, girl, go outside and play. Fresh air is good for you. Stop watching that damn coop opera, All My Chicks!

I always wait til night time and slip chicks or eggs in under a broody. I have always been successful, may have been luck. That is my way of doing it tho.

What does everyone do when they have broody hens? I'm curious to hear people's creative solutions. Do you let them hatch? Give away the babies? Get them chicks to adopt? Try to break them?

Not sure what I'm going to do. Had a bit of a traumatic experience this year with a weak group of chicks I got from my local feed store. My heart still hurts but I don't want these girls to sit on empty nests forever.
I do not have a rooster, and I do not want to deal with 50% males when you hatch your own. So, I move the broody , after she is serious, to a pen I built in the barn. Then I leave her alone for a few days and then go to feed store and buy chicks just arrived, maybe 3 days old, stick them under her in the dark. Have had great luck for 15 years doing this.
Maybe I am just lucky, but all grew up healthy and happy.
Also,need to add if no room for more chicks(what!!) will break her in a separate pen on cold cement floor, works every time.
Only downside is they are not as tame as when you raise the chicks in your laundry room where you can talk to them several times a day.

I have two girls who go broody after each other, i currently have a Chick in winter...go figure!
I've broken my girl Alice by locking her out of the coupe and/ or taking her off the nest and carrying her for awhile many times during the day.
Lily, she is more persistent and will find a secret place in the garden.
Leaving them on a nest when they loose feathers, body heat rises and they have minimal food and water whilst the meditate on the job at hand, i think is cruel.
Buy a single fertile egg. At least she has a purpose and if nature is unsuccessful her innate drive will alter. If this works you have a single chick.
I have a seperate coupe in a shed for broody hen seperation and as a care ward.
In here she naturally has water and feed but no bedding for a nest. The floor is cool so her heat will drop...hopefully.
20211008_134828.jpg

Back
Top Bottom