Opinions on building an incubator

Lilyofsalen

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
Hi,

I decided to get an incubator but when I looked at the prices and read about the various problems each had, I decided the price wasn't worth the potential problems. So I read through many of the home built incubator DIYs in the learning center and decided to build a cooler incubator. Unfortunately, I do not happen to have some of the required supplies lying around so it will cost me a bit more to build than others but I think it will be worth it. After compiling a list of the electronics I wanted to have a second opinion on them: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/29CGRS63P1ZV4?ref_=wl_share

Rather than having a viewing window that will leak heat from the inside, I will use a thermometer/hygrometer with a Bluetooth function so I can view temperature and humidity from my phone.

Right now I work from home but eventually, things will return to normal and I will need to find an automatic egg turner since I will not be able to turn them myself. I was wondering if anyone has had luck using an off-brand egg turner like the one on the list.

Hi,

I decided to get an incubator but when I looked at the prices and read about the various problems each had, I decided the price wasn't worth the potential problems. So I read through many of the home built incubator DIYs in the learning center and decided to build a cooler incubator. Unfortunately, I do not happen to have some of the required supplies lying around so it will cost me a bit more to build than others but I think it will be worth it. After compiling a list of the electronics I wanted to have a second opinion on them: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/29CGRS63P1ZV4?ref_=wl_share

Rather than having a viewing window that will leak heat from the inside, I will use a thermometer/hygrometer with a Bluetooth function so I can view temperature and humidity from my phone.

Right now I work from home but eventually, things will return to normal and I will need to find an automatic egg turner since I will not be able to turn them myself. I was wondering if anyone has had luck using an off-brand egg turner like the one on the list.
Buy the NR 360!!

I made a diy-bator also, but no turner. I am turning 3x/day - when I get up, as soon as I get home from work, and just before bed. I have read this should be sufficient (as long as it’s an odd number). Incubating first batch so I’ll find out!

Ive read the Inkbird is popular so that’s fine. I am not savvy with wiring so I opted for a plug and play Inkbird. Not sure about theheating elements - many people seem to use light bulbs for a heat source. Also the more thermometer/hygrometers the better.

You might be able to have purchased a cheap bator with what you spend making one, but it’s immensely more satisfying and feel you are in control of parameters since you built it!

I made a diy-bator also, but no turner. I am turning 3x/day - when I get up, as soon as I get home from work, and just before bed. I have read this should be sufficient (as long as it’s an odd number). Incubating first batch so I’ll find out!

Ive read the Inkbird is popular so that’s fine. I am not savvy with wiring so I opted for a plug and play Inkbird. Not sure about theheating elements - many people seem to use light bulbs for a heat source. Also the more thermometer/hygrometers the better.

You might be able to have purchased a cheap bator with what you spend making one, but it’s immensely more satisfying and feel you are in control of parameters since you built it!

Inkbird is a good brand, I use a plug and play set up to run a ceramic heat emitter that provides additional heating for my bearded dragon. And yeah, to buy a cheap incubator wouldnt cost too much more than building but knowing the problems they eventually run into I would be replacing parts anyway so its worth it to build! Let me know how your batch turns out.

Have you watched Terry’s videos at Coturnix Corner on YouTube? He has videos of building an incubator. The fans that he uses are the Artic F8 which can be bought through Newegg electronics for a lot cheaper than eBay or Amazon. They run about $25 for box of 5.
wow, 5 fans for $25 is way cheaper than everything I've been looking at. I actually pulled some fans off a broken GPU and hoped to use them but figures they weren't working.

What about building an automatic egg turner? Has anyone done so? How do automatic egg turners work? The hova bator ones look like they are standalone units but how? You would need something to turn on/ off power to the turning motor to keep it from turning 24/7. And then when it runs it would only run for a short time before shutting off again.

If you were to build one you would need trays, a pivot point, the motor, and something to turn it off/on for short periods of time right?

Not too sure, but yeah you need to buy the mechanism part and either buy a rack that would fit or make one. I wanna say Incubator Warehouse might have parts?

For mine, I briefly thought about making a so called semi-automatic turner, and there are a couple diys around the ‘net. Essentially they are a homemade rack of sorts, but you push/pull from the outside of the bator. So you still turn the eggs, but do so without opening the bator and in one shot.

What exactly does this do? :https://incubatorwarehouse.com/egg-incubator-accessories/egg-turner-motor-110v.html

Since it plugs into the wall, does it need a motor controller? Where would you plug that in? If it doesn't need a motor controller, how does it work? Can it slowly turn back and forth all day without hurting eggs? Or does it come with something that switches the motor on or off?

If I were to build an egg tray, could I use this to move it about and turn the eggs without additional parts?

Back
Top Bottom