Options for a dirt run

Fixing the runoff from coming into the run is first....unless it rarely puddles or puddles drains into soil quickly

Getting tree trimming chippings is best, but if yo have to buy get the largest pine nuggets you can, mix with other dry plant material.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.

Fixing the runoff from coming into the run is first....unless it rarely puddles or puddles drains into soil quickly

Getting tree trimming chippings is best, but if yo have to buy get the largest pine nuggets you can, mix with other dry plant material.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.

It doesn't puddle anymore just gets wet. The dirt absorbs the wet from around the run I think. I can get wood chips delivered however they cost a lot. Does it matter what kind of tree the chips come from? I have several dead maples, pines and cherry trees that need to be cut down.

It doesn't puddle anymore just gets wet. The dirt absorbs the wet from around the run I think. I can get wood chips delivered however they cost a lot. Does it matter what kind of tree the chips come from? I have several dead maples, pines and cherry trees that need to be cut down.

Kind of wood chips doesn't matter much. If you're able to chip up the ones you have, they should work well.

Sometimes it's possible to get free wood chips, from companies that cut down trees and clear brush. (They might otherwise have to pay to get rid of the chips, so giving away chips can be genuinely cheaper for them. It varies from one area to another, but is fairly common.)

That could work, if you have a place to store the pile of chips long term.
Newly chipped wood can be very wet, especially if it's full of green leaves, and create a mold bloom, so it's best to let chips sit for a couple months and/or carefully peel off the outer layer of pile a bit of a time and layer it thinly in run so it can dry out some.
Mixing in other dry plant material will help too.

That could work, if you have a place to store the pile of chips long term.
Newly chipped wood can be very wet, especially if it's full of green leaves, and create a mold bloom, so it's best to let chips sit for a couple months and/or carefully peel off the outer layer of pile a bit of a time and layer it thinly in run so it can dry out some.
Mixing in other dry plant material will help too.
Thanks thats a good point. Like all trees that are cut down it should be dry before using.

Natural, washed, coarse grained river sand!

3C548EAB-8733-4818-AD03-2900A5D9F58D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom