Options for covering concrete in run

Spanishearl

Songster
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
After years of failed starts on getting a chicken coop, I finally have my own home, and out in the country! I've chosen to build a coop and run in an old firewood alcove behind my garage. Siding on three sides, glass roof, North West facing, with a concrete floor.

Aside from closing this in as a coop and run, I'm building out a small run along the back connected to the main run to allow the chickens room to get at the grass, and sun if they like. Sun gets back there in the late afternoon.

I live on Vancouver Island (Campbell River area), and we get a lot of rain during the winter months. It doesn't really get too cold, and snow happens, but lasts a day or two. It's rarely below freezing.

I've heard of using sand, and the ocean is literally a five minute drive away, Lots of sand there, but I'm curious about all the different options you have used, or considered, etc.

Thanks!

Personally, I would do deep litter.....6+ inches of assorted size andctupe of organic material (wood chips/bark nuggets, leaf litter, yard debris, grass clippings, etc)....expelled waste from birds composts in place, no smell/mess, wicks/drains moisture ki as much as it can over concreete), birds do almost all the upkeep

I use rubber horse stall mats. They are easy to clean and soft on the birds feet. If you do this though, you need to either clean off the mats very frequently or put a softer substrate on top, such as a sad, etc.

I've heard of using sand, and the ocean is literally a five minute drive away, Lots of sand there,
Salt content would be a concern.

Personally, I would do deep litter.....6+ inches of assorted size andctupe of organic material (wood chips/bark nuggets, leaf litter, yard debris, grass clippings, etc)....expelled waste from birds composts in place, no smell/mess, wicks/drains moisture ki as much as it can over concreete), birds do almost all the upkeep
Ditto Dat^^^

Back
Top Bottom