Orange and white chicken looks like ameraucana but with feathered legs

Skyeblue

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
I got a mystery dozen eggs to hatch. They are about 12 weeks old now. I have been able to identify all the others. We had copper marans, olive egger, appenzeller spitzhauben, ameraucana, cream legbar come from that but I can't identify 1. I will attach photos. They are orange and white with fluff around their chin like the ameraucana, but they have feathered legs. If you can help identify what they are I'd be very appreciative. Extra points if you have any input on gender. Thanks!
20230724_091244.jpg

20230724_091248.jpg

20230724_091252.jpg

Attachments

• 20230724_091248.jpg
    20230724_091248.jpg
    846 KB · Views: 16
Why the feathered feet though? My initial guess was Olive Egger, as I was thinking one of the parents might be a Marans and the other an EE. Is that not possible? I’d sincerely like to know for my own edification, if someone will kindly explain for me :)

Why the feathered feet though? My initial guess was Olive Egger, as I was thinking one of the parents might be a Marans and the other an EE. Is that not possible? I’d sincerely like to know for my own edification, if someone will kindly explain for me :)
Yes, I would agree it has Marans in there somewhere. Also agree it is a cockerel for sure.

Chicken Math Geometric Theorem:
It's one of those "A square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square" kinda things. Oversimplified, an EE is a mixed-breed chicken that lays colored eggs. An Olive Egger is the result of adding a chocolate-colored egg layer (like a feather-legged Marans) into the mix in hopes of darkening the blues and greens into the desired olive egg tones.

If an EE is a RECTANGLE (chickens that lay colored eggs/geometric shape with right angles and opposite sides equal,) then the OE is the SQUARE. It still meets the colored egg and angle/opposite sides criteria, but has an added characteristic - the darker egg color (which equates to the four equal - but still opposite parallel sides - but still two pairs.) So - The square (OE) technically qualifies as a "special" rectangle, but a rectangle (EE) is not a square!

Then there's the Ameraucana/Ameracauna/However-you-want-to-spell-it-today extrapolation. That's where the beards and muffs and clean legs come into play. They're a related but completely different form of square - the CUBE.

See, even Chicken Math expands - now it's Chicken Geometry!
Okay - now my brain hurts. I need to go pet a chicken ...

Chicken Math Geometric Theorem:
It's one of those "A square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square" kinda things. Oversimplified, an EE is a mixed-breed chicken that lays colored eggs. An Olive Egger is the result of adding a chocolate-colored egg layer (like a feather-legged Marans) into the mix in hopes of darkening the blues and greens into the desired olive egg tones.

If an EE is a RECTANGLE (chickens that lay colored eggs/geometric shape with right angles and opposite sides equal,) then the OE is the SQUARE. It still meets the colored egg and angle/opposite sides criteria, but has an added characteristic - the darker egg color (which equates to the four equal - but still opposite parallel sides - but still two pairs.) So - The square (OE) technically qualifies as a "special" rectangle, but a rectangle (EE) is not a square!

Then there's the Ameraucana/Ameracauna/However-you-want-to-spell-it-today extrapolation. That's where the beards and muffs and clean legs come into play. They're a related but completely different form of square - the CUBE.

See, even Chicken Math expands - now it's Chicken Geometry!
Okay - now my brain hurts. I need to go pet a chicken ...

I see now, an OE is an EE, just a specific kind. I don’t think my level of “arithmachicks” is advanced enough yet to move on to the discussion of 3 dimensional shapes though, lol. I’ll just keep living under the assumption that Ameraucanas are mythical creatures, since every poster on here who thinks they have one is always told they just have EEs! I’m grateful for the explanation, thank you! 🥰

I see now, an OE is an EE, just a specific kind. I don’t think my level of “arithmachicks” is advanced enough yet to move on to the discussion of 3 dimensional shapes though, lol. I’ll just keep living under the assumption that Ameraucanas are mythical creatures, since every poster on here who thinks they have one is always told they just have EEs! I’m grateful for the explanation, thank you! 🥰
"Arithmachicks!" I LOVE IT!!!!
:lau

And your assessment of the Ameraucana as a "mythical creature" is pretty spot-on, too, because even though they exist, they're technically mutts, too - a mix based off of Chile's rumpless/tufted Araucana. If you're looking for "The Holy Grail" of colored egglayers - thar' she blows! (True to form ... a "mix" of metaphors!)
Dang ... this was FUN!

Last edited:
ARITHMACHICS!! 😂🤣
Love it!! 👏🏻

Back
Top Bottom