Ordered niacin CAPSULES... they sent me TABLETS. advice?

Miss Lydia, you are very likely much more - umm, you probably have more finesse than I do. I fear I would knock the edge off the counter if I tried the hammer approach. Some of us are talented like that.
lol.png

I grind vitamins with a mortar and pestle that came from Bed Bath and Beyond. You can also get them from Amazon and Ebay. I love it. I use it for crushing herbs, nuts, and vitamins.

I grind vitamins with a mortar and pestle that came from Bed Bath and Beyond. You can also get them from Amazon and Ebay. I love it. I use it for crushing herbs, nuts, and vitamins.
Hey, so I am not the only one who uses a mortar and pestle. My mom gave me mine, oh, gosh, maybe thirty years ago and at the time I thought it was beautiful, but I put it away for years and rarely used it.

These days, I find I use it at least every couple of weeks. Probably will be using it more and more, as I find more things to use it for.

Hey, so I am not the only one who uses a mortar and pestle. My mom gave me mine, oh, gosh, maybe thirty years ago and at the time I thought it was beautiful, but I put it away for years and rarely used it.

These days, I find I use it at least every couple of weeks. Probably will be using it more and more, as I find more things to use it for.
Looks like I may have to come out of the dark ages and get one of those mortar and pestles and retire my hammer.

Miss Lydia, if you have the touch with the hammer, stick with it!!!

But the mortar and pestle is a neat thing to use. Just last night I ground up that pill, and some sea salt and some charcoal for making my toothpaste. And if I may anticipate what you are thinking, yes, it is not a pretty sight while brushing, but it does a good job cleaning the teeth. Much less expensive than commercial paste.

I used to have to grind up 30 pills a day for one of my old horses. I found the mortar and pestle worked much better than the hammer method (it kept ripping the plastic bag) and even the pill crusher I had.. I have two, one for food things and one for medications. They are worth the money

What ya'll don't like my cave man way of crushing a pill? ;)
I love it! Lol!!! I used tin foil and a wine bottle to smash up all the niacin and supplements for my wry neck ducklings. One way to make it easier is to mark a jar in measured spots. Pre crush all the pills for say a day or three of water and then mix it in a mason jar. I premade about 5 gallons of my "supplements" at once and vigorously shook the mason jar before measuring out a dose into the water. I too had residue and no duckling improvement before I switched to a better mixture method.

Last edited:
Miss Lydia, if you have the touch with the hammer, stick with it!!!

But the mortar and pestle is a neat thing to use.  Just last night I ground up that pill, and some sea salt and some charcoal for making my toothpaste.  And if I may anticipate what you are thinking, yes, it is not a pretty sight while brushing, but it does a good job cleaning the teeth.  Much less expensive than commercial paste.
I've always felt skeptical about dental products. It's kind of ironic isnt it? You buy a toothpaste that 9 out of 10 dentists recommend. Well, they do make a living off of others having tooth problems!!!! I've always wondered if they were just trying to put you into an express lane to a root canal!!!

Last edited:
I've always felt skeptical about dental products. It's kind of ironic isnt it? You buy a toothpaste that 9 out of 10 dentists recommend. Well, they do make a living off of others having tooth problems!!!! I've always wondered if they were just trying to put you into an express lane to a root canal!!!
So true!
wink.png

For what it's worth, my dental hygienist knows to ask what I have been using, and she gives me feedback on how well it has worked. Some of the best feedback came from using ground horsetail herb. I need to get some more of that - it is good for so many things.

Back
Top Bottom