Ordering chicks tomorrow from Lazy54 Farm? Deal or no deal.

lanibeegirl

Hatching
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
OK I am bald from pulling my hair out over my first chicken order and I need advice. I am trying to split an order of chicks with another lady. She wants to order from Lazy54 Farm in Oregon, but I know nothing about them. They are cheaper because shipping cost is OR to OR. Since this is my first batch of chickens ever, I am concerned about the quality of their stock. I can only keep between 2-5 chicken comfortably so I want nice chickens. I have to order tomorrow or at least by the end of the week or I will not have enough time to feather my new chicks out before having to go on a planned family trip. My neighbor will "chickensit" for me, but the chicks need to be safely in a coop and out of their brooder. I am getting Autralorps because they seem like they have personalities similar to Orpingtons, but they are supposed to lay a little better.

Has anybody used Lazy54 before? Do they have good chickens? I heard they took over Shanks Hatchery or something. I want chickens with nice temperment, good laying ability and true to the breed. If you folks say they are good, I will order from them tomorrow. Otherwise, I will go with Cackle or McMurray just to try to get solid laying stock. I can't take it anymore, I'm seeing chickens in my sleep now. Bok bok bok...

Please somebody tell me about Lazy54 or suggest another solid hatchery that will let me order 10-15 chicks so that I can place an order on my own. The new brooder I built looks so empty. Thank you in advance.

I like Lazy54, they show at alot of the APA shows on the coast and are nice people. Lazy54 farms was the owner of shanks but decided to just make one big hatchery. Their birds are of good quality. If you dont want to go thru them, you can always try Ideal in Texas...

I have been in email communication with the owner of Lazy54 for months, anxiously waiting for him to get enough Exhibition quality RIRs for me to purchase a few.
sad.png
I'll be waiting until next year though since he did not hatch enough to sell...

As mentioned above, they have been into the APA shows for a long time, and produce some great birds (some of the owner's birds are pictured in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks) I plan to order from them this year - getting my Muscovies there, and likely other birds as well.

Since you are in Oregon, I do believe you can pick up at the hatchery instead of having them delivered.

Last edited:
Shanks was in business for a long time so the chickens have to just as good as any,my cousin always ordered 100- 300 cornish cross every year when he lived in Hubbard and did good with them
You can always go with Dunlapp in Caldwell Id.or Phinney in WallaWalla,I have some RIR from Belt hatchery in Fresno that are pretty nice
so depending on what part of the state you are from,you could see which would be the cheapest to order from

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom