Oregon Spring Poultry Swap April 23, 2011 in Canby!!!

HappyStaffs, those are the GORGEOUS Wyandottes I was sooo tempted to purchase!

Silky, I couldn't believe you could get everything packed/jammed into that little red car!! I should have stuck around to film it!!
ep.gif

WHOA!!! I bet you slept good Silkie.. Which person were you?? So many ppl.... so little brain to work with...
smile.png
I was the way fairing waif with no shelter to call my own... just trick er snacking and jabbering... What a blast that was...

Quote:
I was the one with gangly tomatoes and vanilla who was greatful enough to be able to borrow table space from Ayeupchuck that had a HUGE selection of organic starts and sweet confections.

I wish I spent more time wandering around! I'll have to just wander this fall swap!

I want to say those big silver laced wyandottes belonged to the guy that had the WSU 4-H poultry leader name tag?

Cloverleaf - That welsummer hen I picked up from you laid me an egg her very first morning here! And it was such a beautiful egg. Nice color and speckles....and it was HUGE. Here is a photo I took of it sitting between an egg laid by my BO and another by my RIR. It was so big it barely fit in the egg carton! Wow! Also, we just love her personality. Turns out she is very happy to sit in my lap and be hand fed treats.
smile.png

82361_welsummers_first_egg_005.jpg

K& Menagerie - We are totally in love with the little cochin chicks! They are so sweet and cuddly. My son is very pleased to end up with two frizzles.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Reading your post my first thought was WOW! Crank up the radio and I bet those roosters crowed along
smile.png
then I ponder the processing in an apartment... The neighbors must be very nice
smile.png
I'm impressed you got it all done. Our next project is a whizbang plucker.

I am still deciding a name for him as of yet. We were going to let him settle in to yesterday daytime and stay inside with the cochin group we brought home. But the frizzle Cochin didn't care to much for that idea and started to beat him up. So I introduced him to our young girls that night whether then in the morning. Thanks again for him he is a cool little guy.

Quote:
Awww that makes me so happy
smile.png
He's such a snuggler. What did he name him?

I had a great time at the get together as well. I am looking forward to the next meet.

Quote:
They will not be the little ones for long! hehe. I have a Midget hen setting on 14 eggs right now. So far, she is the only one out of 8 turk hens to go broody.

I just want to warn you about the character and nature of these little buggers... they are very personable and friendly. Watch out! Before you know it, they will be following you around and resting on your shoulder. DON'T DO THAT! It is cute when they are small, but when they are full grown and try to land on someone's shoulder it is not cute at all. It gets dangerous, they are big birds.

So, love them, but let them be birds. I like it when they lean on my leg and I stroke them like a dog. They come when I call them. They find me wherever I am working on the farm and come to talk to me. I really like them.

Hi all! Wanted to chime in and say that I had a great time at my first swap! Thanks so much to all who put in the hard work making it happen. It was a lovely day and everyone was SOOO nice!

Cloverleaf--your birds are so lovely and gentle! Poor little sweethearts didn't have a very happy settle-in though. About an hour after we got home our electricity went out so everyone was in the coop with no lights. In the morning I saw that they had been having some squabbles so my husband and I rigged up a wire coop separation. Now they can all (my oldish babies and the new ones) see each other but no one is getting hurt. Any advice how long I should keep it like that? Also THANK YOU so much for being so patient with me and all of my newbie questions, especially while you weren't feeling well. You're amazing!
clap.gif

AyeUp--Please remind me what kind of strawberry plant I bought from you. I was the one that went crazy over the chocolate cherry and you told me the strawberry seeds came from your husbands family? I just can't remember the name.
tongue.png

Zoo--my daughters new girls are the sweetest! What darling little lap chickens. But oh my goodness, what is that pitiful little cry that happens when you hold one and leave the other in the cage? It's like, "Hey, me too, me too". I actually thought about hiding them when it came time for her to go home. I'm SURE she wouldn't have even noticed.
big_smile.png

Tallyho--don't forget I am in love with your birds. Don't forget me when you have more.
wink.png

Again, had a great time,came home with some fun goodies, more chicken knowledge and can't wait for the next one!

Valerie

Quote:
Aww, thanks!!
hugs.gif
I'm glad you like them! How old are your other birds? If they are much larger than the lavenders, I would wait until all have grown enough to be roughly the same size before reintroducing.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom