Oregon

Gotta love the Ausie Spots! I love having a couple of bantam ducks around usually, but where I live now they keep limiting what I can have.

I currently have judt 7 chickens and she said no more! I think I may faint from this lack of Chicken Math!

We are limited to five hens and it's probably a good thing!

I have a long time friend looking for a couple breeds I do not have. She lives in Downtown North Portland so no roosters. She built the chicken tash mahall with 2 coops attached to a huge covered run and an additional huge outdoor run with lots of compost to dig through!
She wants 4-5 total maybe 6 though she can house easily up to 20 with her setup.
Looking for:

Splash Ameraucana
Lavender Ameraucana
Speckled Sussex

If you have strait run chicks thats fine I will raise them in my brooders until they can go outside and deal with the roosters myself.
I would be willing to swap super quality young BBS Bobbi Porto Silkies for sexed Pullets.

pm if you have anything.

Splash Silkie girls are sold, and going to a GREAT home!!

So, now I have a black Silkie cock that needs a home. He is free, feel free to eat him if you like. He has not been handled, and I really don't know anything about him. He doesn't have much of a crest right now, but it was larger before, I don't know what he did to it. He did not peck us when he was being pettted today, but he was dancing for us. :) He was free ranged for 2 months straight at his old home, so he knows how to take care of himself, and would make a great flock protector. I would really like him to go ASAP, as I don't really have a "space" for him, and he is living in a dog crate, which he hates....

If no home soon, he will likely be butchered.

Still have some free roos. They are PQ cochins. Very friendly and will make great 4-H pets!

they are even trained to walk on a harness.

Yeah
wee.gif
, friend came over and sexed my Saxony ducks. Turns out I did a good job and out of 10, was only wrong on one. I will definately do it younger next year. Now, If I can just get my craigslist energy up soon to list the gals. If not they will show up on the chicken swap list, lol.

So I'm not sure what to do here. I purchased two chicks from a well-known silkie/cochin breeder in the area and am regretting it terribly. I purchased them to add underneath my broody hen who had hatched a few other chicks. They sneezed a few times in the car, when the others I had picked up didn't, but that was it. Well of course it spread to the other chicks, and although the others have recovered (besides residual sneezing), the two I purchased are still sickly and very unthrifty. The cochin breaths heavily and just looks sick, and the silkie has stopped growing and is also having trouble breathing as well as not eating well.

I've contacted her about this issue but have not heard anything. What do I do in this situation? Is it wrong to ask for my money back since I may end up culling these unthrifty birds due to their illness? Ironically enough I got chicks for her LAST year and had the same problem prop up, but I blamed a hatchery chick for it. Who would have thought $10 chicks would be the root of the problem? UGH

Anyway, not sure what to do here. I'm upset and feel like I've been duped. I recall her having a sick rooster she was treating when I visited, but he wasn't in the chick area and I didn't really pay much attention to that...however wouldn't you be able to tell if you had sickness running through your brooders and choose NOT to sell them?!

Maybe I just needed a place to vent.

Anyway, not sure what to do here. I'm upset and feel like I've been duped. I recall her having a sick rooster she was treating when I visited, but he wasn't in the chick area and I didn't really pay much attention to that...however wouldn't you be able to tell if you had sickness running through your brooders and choose NOT to sell them?!

I have lots of animals come through here as rescues and think that anyone who pays minimal attention should pick up that something isn't right. But a few years back I got a rescue dog shipped from Florida and aside from the owner being WAY OFF about the breed she also did not mention that the dog had a TUMOR the size of a cantaloupe on one of his testicle. I am the sort of person who notices the slightest injury but when I called her to ask about this she seemed genuinely surprised... go figure.

Sorry to hear about your chicks. And yes, they were already sick when you got them so she should refund your money.

So I'm not sure what to do here. I purchased two chicks from a well-known silkie/cochin breeder in the area and am regretting it terribly. I purchased them to add underneath my broody hen who had hatched a few other chicks. They sneezed a few times in the car, when the others I had picked up didn't, but that was it. Well of course it spread to the other chicks, and although the others have recovered (besides residual sneezing), the two I purchased are still sickly and very unthrifty. The cochin breaths heavily and just looks sick, and the silkie has stopped growing and is also having trouble breathing as well as not eating well.

I've contacted her about this issue but have not heard anything. What do I do in this situation? Is it wrong to ask for my money back since I may end up culling these unthrifty birds due to their illness? Ironically enough I got chicks for her LAST year and had the same problem prop up, but I blamed a hatchery chick for it. Who would have thought $10 chicks would be the root of the problem? UGH

Take them back and get a refund. The only disease I am aware of in this area that has sneezing is LG. There are others where they cough and gurgle. I would report her. She knows what diseases her birds have and darn well knows if her birds are carriers if she is treating them. People who do not cull carriers make me mad.

Splash Silkie girls are sold, and going to a GREAT home!!

So, now I have a black Silkie cock that needs a home. He is free, feel free to eat him if you like. He has not been handled, and I really don't know anything about him. He doesn't have much of a crest right now, but it was larger before, I don't know what he did to it. He did not peck us when he was being pettted today, but he was dancing for us. :) He was free ranged for 2 months straight at his old home, so he knows how to take care of himself, and would make a great flock protector. I would really like him to go ASAP, as I don't really have a "space" for him, and he is living in a dog crate, which he hates....

If no home soon, he will likely be butchered.

thanks, I hope the girls will love it here!!!

Take them back and get a refund. The only disease I am aware of in this area that has sneezing is LG. There are others where they cough and gurgle. I would report her. She knows what diseases her birds have and darn well knows if her birds are carriers if she is treating them. People who do not cull carriers make me mad.

You're right, it's just hard for me because I am NOT a confrontational person. It's also frustrating because she always wants me to call her but a. I can't understand her over the phone because she talks so fast and b. I can't hear well over the phone anyway.

This is the email I sent her, do you think this is fair?

"Hey -----, I hate to do this but I'd like to ask for a refund for the two chicks I got from you. They came to me sick and have never fully recovered. The blue cochin I have has labored breathing and clicking in his chest. He also has a strange looking face and his eyes aren't bright. The silkie is still sneezing and has sounds coming from its chest, doesn't eat well, and has stopped growing.

None of my other chicks have any problems at this point, so it's just the birds from you that are proving to be unthrifty. I normally wouldn't cause a fuss with this but $20 is a lot of money and these birds aren't going to be going into my flock due to their unthriftiness and I don't want to be the one to cull them.

I didn't call because it's hard for me to hear over the phone, so if you could reply with your thoughts and a way to proceed that would be great."

Edit: Got a reply and she was very apologetic. She'll be sending me my money in the mail.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom