Organic feed for Broilers

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Actually you did. Your "you" pronoun applies to a class: Modern Commercial Farmers. Since I am a member of that class you implied that I was dumping "tons of toxic crap" on my farm fields........
Jim

No, that is NOT what I meant. There are plenty of people who use toxic chemicals, besides some modern commercial farmers. (Not all MCF's do.) Backyard gardeners, people who like weed-free lawns, ordinary suburnanites, and lots of others. You read into my post something that wasn't there. My "you" meant anybody who uses large amounts of pesticides etc. It does not mean everybody with a garden. It does not mean everybody with a lawn. It does not even mean every modern commercial farmer. There are some modern commercial farmers who are very careful what they use. There are some who are not careful. Which one you are, I don't know.

But I do know what I meant when I wrote it, and you are not very good at mindreading.

About Round-Up, here's one source, there are more if you really want them, I'll gladly provide the links. One thing stands out, the glyphosate alone is not as bad as the entire Round-Up formulation. The chemicals evidently combine in such a way as to cause a lot more damage when combined, which is one of the concerns many have had for years. Environmental damage and death of organisms has been observed at levels much lower than is normally produced by "correct" application.

From this link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup#Human_and_mammalian_health_effects

"Toxicity
......A 2008 scientific study has shown that Roundup formulations and metabolic products cause the death of human embryonic, placental, and umbilical cells in vitro even at low concentrations. The effects were not proportional to the main active ingredient concentrations (glyphosate) but dependent on the nature of the adjuvants used in the Roundup formulation.

Endocrine disruptor

A 2000 in vitro study on mouse MA-10 cells concluded that Roundup inhibited progesterone production by disrupting StAR protein expression.[15]

A 2005 in vitro study on human placental JEG3 cells concluded that the glyphosate disruption of aromatase is facilitated by adjuvants of the Roundup formulation.[16]

A 2009 in vitro experiment with glyphosate formulations on human liver HepG2 cells has observed endocrine disruption at sub-agricultural doses, where a Roundup formulation showed to be the most active formulation. The effects were more dependent on the formulation than on the glyphosate concentration.[17]

Genetic damage

A 1998 study on mice concluded that Roundup is able to cause genetic damage. The authors concluded that the damage was "not related to the active ingredient, but to another component of the herbicide mixture".[18]

A 2009 study on mice has found that a single intraperitoneal injection of Roundup in concentration of 25 mg/kg caused chromosomal aberrations and induction of micronuclei.[19]

A 2009 in vitro experiment with glyphosate formulations on human liver cells has observed DNA damages at sub-agricultural doses, where a Roundup formulation showed to be the most active formulation. The effects were more dependent on the formulation than on the glyphosate concentration.[17]
Ecologic effects

A 2000 review of the toxicological data on Roundup concluded that "for terrestrial uses of Roundup minimal acute and chronic risk was predicted for potentially exposed nontarget organisms". It also concluded that there were some risks to aquatic organisms exposed to Roundup in shallow water.[20]

Aquatic effects

Fish and aquatic invertebrates are more sensitive to Roundup than terrestrial organisms.[20] Glyphosate is generally less persistent in water than in soil, with 12 to 60 day persistence observed in Canadian pond water, yet persistence of over a year have been observed in the sediments of ponds in Michigan and Oregon.[7]
The EU classifies Roundup as R51/53 Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.[21]

Although Roundup is not registered for aquatic uses[22] and studies of its effects on amphibians indicate it is toxic to them,[23] scientists have found that it may wind up in small wetlands where tadpoles live due to inadvertent spraying during its application. A recent study found that even at concentrations one-third of the maximum concentrations expected in nature, Roundup still killed up to 71 percent of tadpoles raised in outdoor tanks."

There's more, but you probably get the idea. It sounds pretty toxic to me. I am not posting this to pick an argument with you. I have friends and family members who sometimes use things I believe to be bad for them, and I tell them. Sometimes, they listen. If I am using something that is bad for me, and I don't know, I appreciate it if somebody tells me. I thank them for their concern for my well-being. Instead of considering it a personal attack, I do a little research, and if I find they are correct, and it's something I can possibly do without, I stop using it. Then, I thank them for alerting me to a hazard I had been unaware of.

I do not ask or expect any such thing from you.​

Quote:
ohoh! don't forget grass athletic field maintainers (and the organizations that support them). every time i drive by the high school i went to i cringe a little more. they once SPRAY PAINTED some dying grass green because they were going to be on tv and it looked bad. they use so many chemicals to keep that grass alive i worry about the poor guys who get their faces rubbed in it.

MCFs are so much better than that. they at least are using chemicals because it helps them be productive in some way. i haven't found any studies that show green grass helps win football games though...

Hiya,
DH and I are attending a sustainable small acreage farming course as of last wed. it is an 8 week course through our local agricultural extension, but I have done some considerable research on many of these subjects.
It is totally dependant on where you live, your local environs, as to wether it is even possible to raise chickens or garden or any other livestock completely organically.
As someone else already pointed out no one knows what kind of chemicals or environmental toxins any kind of flying insect or spider has been exposed to before being consumed by your poultry, and for those of us in semi suburban/close rural areas.
Whatever your neighbors are absentmindedly using on a breezy day could easily drift over your fruit trees/yard/chicken pen/garden etc.... and you would be none the wiser without high dollar testing. and then still, you have a snowballs chance in hell of tracking down from whence the offending substance came.

It is like the polar opposite of the monsanto cases where they have successfully sued farmers miles away from their genectically altered crop fields for patent violations because wind and bees have carried the pollens far and caused the patented gene mutations in an old school farmers crop, next thing they know, monsanto lawyers are knocking on their doors, testing their seed, banishing them from saving their own seed, and forcing them into contracts that stipulate they forever buy monsanto seed and demanding their patent use fees plus %per acre of whatever crop is in violation.
There is no escaping the interconnectedness of this world.
I absolutely agree that we should all strive for natural products and sustainability (which is way more difficult than it sounds) but at the same time I understand that it is unrealistic here and now to expect anything to be truly "purely organic" and paying extra for a "government" stamp that says it is makes no sense to me either.

Quote:
That's great, I wonder if our local extension office offers anything like that. I'll have to check and see. It never occurred to me that they might.

You have a valid point, in some places, it's losing battle. But at least if you don't add more, you can reduce exposure somewhat, anyway. At least I'd hope so. I'm very fortunate to live where I do, the nearest place anybody else is growing anything is about a mile away, and there are lots of tall woods between my place and theirs. We're not too likely to get any drift from them. There are some pastures where cattle are being raised, a few with goats or horses. Those fields don't get sprayed with anything. Nor do the nearby hayfields. If there were crops nearby that got sprayed, dusted or whatever, or even a neighbor spraying on breezy days, I don't know what I'd do. Grow inside a green house, maybe? Use row covers? I don't know. Try to make a deal with the neighbor, to let me know a couple dys ahead of spraying, so I could cover my stuff up? If a person were gardening a space much larger than my garden, it might not even be possible to do anything about at all. And that's too bad, that somebody else could prevent you from growing organic food for yourself and family.

Quote:
Absolutely. Everything and everybody is connected to everything and everybody else.

In defense of Jenny-the-bear..... Lol...

30 some odd onces doesn't seem like a lot but when you add the thousands of farmers that use it.... it adds up to 85-90 million..... MILLION pounds of the stuff. SO in my opinion farmers as a class or a group are dumping tons of the crap all over the country.

Monsanto, had developed a great invention with the whole round up and the round up ready soybean. You have to give them credit but on the other hand what effect does this have on our soil... ground water... and our food system? I mean ya of course people do a lot more out put / acre.... but at what cost?

Faster, fatter, bigger, cheaper is not always the way to go.... cheap food is an illusion and we pay the price every day and not with our money.

It's not easy to steer from the status quo....

Many are looking under the wrong stone for the real culprit for the polutions. The modern farmer has very strict laws that covers the education, testing and certification of applicators, chemical storage, use, application and record keeping of all pesticide , fungicide and herbicide used on their farm lands as well as the disposal of the empty containers. They also have inspectors that monitor them as well as testing for residues on their crops. In modern suburbia NOTHING !!! Look at the Home Depots, Lowes, Walmart, and the Targets of the world and one will find hundreds of containers of all types of chemicals and fertilizers by the ton. Almost all of their lawns are always green and not a bug in sight. If the label says to use an ounce of a product in a galon of water, the wonderously educated suburbanite thinks that 2 ounces will work better. Take 2 asperin and call me in the morning mentality. If a droplet of a product will kill a weed within 2 weeks, why if the entire weed is completely saturated it will be killed in an hour. Looking in any garage or under their kitchen and bathroom sinks one will find a wonderous and copious supply of these unsafely stored wonder products. Ahhh !!! for the environmental laws. Many cities will not allow even empty containers to be in their landfills. At least in my area, they have a once a year drop off day for all herbicides and pesticides. One has to make an appointment for the exact hour and day to bring these products for disposal. Then when one arrives at the site, They are so picky as to what chemicals they will take, or even their amounts that one almost has to bring back everything that they braught over to dispose of "safely". If it is an Agricultural product and/or if it is in a larger container than a galon, they will not take it. The farmers have to pay a hazardous waste site to "properly dispose" of the empty and cleaned out container. I have an elderly friend that still had chemicals in safely stored and locked containers that he has been trying to dispose of for the past 3 years. So, last May, 2 friends and I got together and individually made appointments and finally got the hazardous waste officials to accept the chemicals.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

j.luetkemeyer :

I guaranty the cost of being treated for cancer is much higher than the premium for organic.

Why yes the cost of cancer is probably more than the premium on organic foods.

However, the implication that organic food prevents cancer is ridiculous. We have jumpted the shark on this one.​

I've been studying nutrition for 15 years and can vouch that an organic, whole food diet does prevent cancer. It may not be the organic food preventing it as much as it is a fact that the non-organic crap causes it. I'm not specifically talking about certified organic, I'm talking about growing and producing food as it was intended by its creator to be produced and grown. It's amazing how everyone talks about finding a cure for cancer when the answer is how to prevent it. This is the backwards mentality Americans have been brainwashed to have.​

Quote:
no, i agree with you there. like i said previously, at least farmers are using chemicals to be more productive, whereas "suburbanites" are using them to keep up with the Joneses. it's a sad reality.

but no one is trying to sell produce grown in those suburban yards to the masses of America. it's an issue with many facets.

i don't think any of us think that small farmers (as a whole) who use chemicals are bad people with complete disregard for the environment and the health of others. and getting them to stop isn't going to solve this problem over night. but if we can show them another way, one that is productive AND chemical free, then i, personally, won't stop trying.

BIG AGRIBUSINESS... well, that's another story.

j.luetkemeyer :

I've been studying nutrition for 15 years and can vouch that an organic, whole food diet does prevent cancer. It may not be the organic food preventing it as much as it is a fact that the non-organic crap causes it. I'm not specifically talking about certified organic, I'm talking about growing and producing food as it was intended by its creator to be produced and grown. It's amazing how everyone talks about finding a cure for cancer when the answer is how to prevent it. This is the backwards mentality Americans have been brainwashed to have.

Can you cite the studies that prove what you can vouch for?​

Back
Top Bottom