Organic vs. Non-GMO: It's an all natural chicken eggs!

DanielKYantis

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
Austin, Texas
How can an egg fresh from a chicken be anything other that organic?
There is no way to produce a fake or hybrid egg!

This question has been posed to me several times and I wanted more input from the masses.

I am currently advertising and selling chicken eggs here: http://TexasNaturalEggs.com
It would be nice if I could use the word "Organic" but I know there are various regulations on that word.

Please feel free to give your input!

How can an egg fresh from a chicken be anything other that organic?
There is no way to produce a fake or hybrid egg!

This question has been posed to me several times and I wanted more input from the masses.

I am currently advertising and selling chicken eggs here: http://TexasNaturalEggs.com
It would be nice if I could use the word "Organic" but I know there are various regulations on that word.

Please feel free to give your input!

Because the term 'organic' is owned by the USDA and they want (x) amount of dollars from you for you to use it. Realistically, I think most people who care, probably all ready know that most supermarket food labels are complete B.S. This is especially true for commercial eggs, since essentially all of their earthy sounding labels (cage free, vegetarian, organic, etc) still generally come from chickens who live in abysmal conditions.

In regards to small scale producers or backyard chicken keepers - the organic conditions are really pretty stupid. There's a post or three on it somewhere in these forums, but it restricted a lot of stuff that doesn't matter - treated lumber as an example. We all know it has some bad stuff in it, but on my coop I have about 6 pieces of it that the chickens or the ground don't touch (fencing and/or concrete blocks prevent access). Your water supply is also brought into question - most people use their 'tap water,' some rain or alternative means but it's still a questionable inspection. Your flock's health is brought into question (if organic prefers getting an egg from a chicken with an illness over an egg from a chicken treated and cured of an illness, I'm not sure that label is all it's cut out to be). Feeding is also questioned. I (and science) question the noise about GMOs since there hasn't really been a genuine link made to say it's unhealthy (most noise is about economics and the effect of giant corps on small scale farmers more than anything health related) but your feeding methods have to fall in line with the USDA's definitions.

I get the appeal of being able to say organic. It's the "in" terminology right now and using it might bring you a customer or three, but I'd almost guarantee backyard keepers raising healthy birds to sell eggs could almost benefit from having more eggs than more customers since they're pretty easy to unload for a few bucks..

Back
Top Bottom