Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Too bad no one coud offer advice on diet when mixing brahmas and malay/saipan chicks. The hatchery/breeder debate song is played all over this site. Way too often. I will find somewhere else for friendly, non judgemental advice.

I should have mentioned that I don't have any personal experience with those two breeds. What I wrote just comes from me recalling some breed characteristics I've read about them. But still, I honestly believe you'll be fine, especially with the Sussex. You shouldn't add any more breeds just for brooding, if you don't want to have them.

Too bad no one coud offer advice on diet when mixing brahmas and malay/saipan chicks. The hatchery/breeder debate song is played all over this site. Way too often. I will find somewhere else for friendly, non judgemental advice.
No need to get offended, though. It's just some advice, and it's something good to know that many actually aren't aware of. That's all.
As far as the feed, I thought the Orientals needed a lower protein feed, for their slower growth rate. But, not sure. I would wait for someone to chime in.

sorry i forget sometimes....
i feed my flokc a mix of layer, broiler, game, scratch, and cat chow.... they eat up the scratch and cat food but leave the crumbles... they dont dare touch pellets if i give it to them.... dont know why.... they free-range in the yard and the neighbors yards daily so that may be the reason?

The lower protein is the way to go with Orientals. You'll develop leg problems if grown too quickly. As far as the hatchery debate... My Asil's are lucky to lay 60 eggs a year. If a hatchery was going to sell them pure, can you imagine how many breeders they would need to have in order to sell them for $3/chick. Good Luck with your project. Blaine

I should have mentioned that I don't have any personal experience with those two breeds. What I wrote just comes from me recalling some breed characteristics I've read about them. But still, I honestly believe you'll be fine, especially with the Sussex. You shouldn't add any more breeds just for brooding, if you don't want to have them.
I know it varies, but in general, when should I know if my hens are going to be broody? I am thinking, by early May, if I don't have the broods that I want then I can order some different chickens.

I know it varies, but in general, when should I know if my hens are going to be broody? I am thinking, by early May, if I don't have the broods that I want then I can order some different chickens.
I've got one broody hen now and it's 17 degrees outside. It depends, give them a good, quite, safe, undisturbed and fairly dark and hidden spot, and once they start laying there cross your fingers. Some will go broody on one egg, others on 20. So be patient. Age plays a part, too. Mine were laying for a little bit before they matured enough to decide they wanted to become a mother hen.

Back
Top Bottom