Orphaned 4 week old chick - Any advice?

Emtester

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
Hi there,

Sadly, I've just found our black copper maran broody dead with her 4 week old chick. She was a new mum and had a tendency not to eat enough so I think may have starved. Well, what is the best option for looking after the chick? I have another broody buff sussex with 3 chicks that are 3 week old pekin bantams. I don't think putting the orphaned chick in with them is an option as it's a lot bigger than the other chicks and is a black where they are lavender coloured.

Am I best bringing the chick inside and keeping it under a heat lamp for a couple of weeks until fully feathered? Any advice on what to keep the chick in accommodation wise and bearing in mind we have 5 cats that come and go from the house.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received.

Hi there,

Sadly, I've just found our black copper maran broody dead with her 4 week old chick. She was a new mum and had a tendency not to eat enough so I think may have starved. Well, what is the best option for looking after the chick? I have another broody buff sussex with 3 chicks that are 3 week old pekin bantams. I don't think putting the orphaned chick in with them is an option as it's a lot bigger than the other chicks and is a black where they are lavender coloured.

Am I best bringing the chick inside and keeping it under a heat lamp for a couple of weeks until fully feathered? Any advice on what to keep the chick in accommodation wise and bearing in mind we have 5 cats that come and go from the house.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received.

I came back from vacation and one of my hens were missing. I found her chick stuck between a wall and wire. Idk how long either. She was inside right next to where her mom was laying eggs under a tarp outside the pin.

She really wasn't accepted by any of the other chickens so she took up with the turkeys and started waiting at the door till I brought her in at night.
She is going on 8 weeks now

Back
Top Bottom