Orphaned Baby Quail Were Brought To Us To Care For/Help Needed

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
Tonight at 8:00 our door bell rings and standing there is a fellow and his two daughters who are carrying in a box two of the smallest and cutest little quail babies I have ever seen.

They were folks who had come and purchased started pullets from us earlier this spring. They found these two babies and just knew that we'd be able to take better care of them than they would. LOL

We have never had quail before and know nothing about caring for them. These are wild quail that are found all over New Mexico and these babies are the smallest little things I have ever laid eyes on.

Way smaller than the Serama babies we have hatched out. We sort of figured that we'd raise them the way we brooded our Serama's, keeping them under a light and grinding up their food.

Anyone out there who has experience I would really appreciate some advice if there are things I need to know specific to raising quail.

They also brought us what I think are sparrow babies. They aren't all at the same stage of development though. Several of them are feathered out and very lively. Three others are still fairly naked and patchy-feathered, very lethargic and seem so young. From what I have read about a week old.

My sweet DH ran to Petsmart and got baby bird food...though somehow I am not too sure these baby song birds will make it.

I am hoping we can keep the quails alive, they have stole my heart!

a games keeper we know in scotland uses broody chickens to raise his quail and phesant babies...do you have a super de duper loving chicken that would take them on?

oh and the feed store got some baby birds in their hay delivery once when I was in buying dog food and I remember someone saying the inners of a meal worm is what they eat...

...to cut the meal worm and squeeze out it's inners like a momma bird's puke...another person said you can just blend the meal worms up in a blender and feed them to the baby birds...but YUCK...who wants meal worm gunk in their blender...tomorrow's breakfast blueberry smoothie would have a new taste after that!!! LOL
sickbyc.gif

Well, I've raised Bobwhites and Corturnix quail from hatchlings and basically, you follow all the same rules as caring for baby chicks.

Grinding the food does help.

You may want to use game bird starter, if you have it (or can get it,) unmedicated chick starter is fine, too.

They can fly at a very young age, so cover the top of the brooder completely with very fine mesh. I used a 10 gal aquarium with a lid.

Use a quail waterer because they often drown their stupid selves even with marbles in the tray. A water bottle is good, too, if they can figure it out.

Good luck with your babies! You may find a lot of help in the Turkey/Quail category.

Edited to add:

They often need less time under a heat lamp because they feather out very quickly, like in 2-4 weeks.

Shavings are fine from the beginning, they're too small to eat them.

They smell worse than baby chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Now, that was funny!
lau.gif

So, how often do you think they need to be fed?

No, I don't have any hens that are broody at the moment. I wish I did!

Southernbelle, thanks for the suggestion about posting it to the Turkey/Quail category-it hadn't occurred to me.

I read your post recently about MG in your flock. I had to shed a briny tear or two, I felt so bad for you. How are you doing?

Quote:
Now, that was funny!
lau.gif

So, how often do you think they need to be fed?

No, I don't have any hens that are broody at the moment. I wish I did!

the lady and guy at the feedstore who were talking (I was just listening in)
wink.png
were saying something about if you hold your finger to their mouth they will open it like they are hungry and waiting for food...soooo I guess try that and see what they do, I imagine they are like human babies (eating all the time...maybe offer it every hour and see what happens??? I really don't know...I sure hope someone can help you on the turkey board!!!

Quote:
Monarc23 hangs out in the quail section a lot and she's the reigning queen of all things Quail, so I know you'll get much better advice from her than from me!

hugs.gif
I'm hanging in there, thanks for asking.
hugs.gif
I've been sitting with them out in the barn a lot just to spend some time with them. A friend of ours with a farming background (but not farming now) is going to cull them for me. I just couldn't face doing it. So, the hardest part is fast approaching. On the plus side, a few wonderful BYCers have offered me eggs to help me get back on my feet, so I'm very grateful to them.
hugs.gif

If you can use a brooder with a red light. All the Bob's I've raised seem to go nutty if there is a white light on them all the time. They will pick each other to death.

High protein, NON-MEDICATED feed. needs to be ground tiny. any kind of water other than a quail waterer will need to have marble or clean stones put in it to keep the little bugger from drowning.

Back
Top Bottom