OT: Can I help a baby blue jay? How?

Nickeechickee

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 23, 2012
So the kids found a baby blue jay today...fell out of the nest. No real feathers yet, just fuzz. No blue at all yet and naked on the neck and shoulders, so not old enough to be away from mom. Nest is a good 20 feet up and I have no way to get at it. If I leave him out the cat will get him for sure.

I moistened some grower crumbles (all we had that would be appropriate) and gave him a little with a syringe. He squawked for more so I kept at it till he stopped squawking every time my hand came near. I put him in a box with some wood shavings under a heat lamp. He doesn't appear to have use of his legs (should he?) but rather scoots on his butt...

Is there anything I can do to help him?

Here's a crappy cell phone pic...

Like what? I obviously won't be able to buy anything until tomorrow...what should I buy then and what should I give him tonight? I thought about peanut butter but I don't have any natural stuff at the house...

Don't give it earthworms. We recently helped a baby robin and read that worms can kill other kinds of baby birds. We also read that really soggy dog food can make a temporary food source.

Seems to be doing ok on the soggy chicken crumbles so far. He was a lot perkier this morning:

Back
Top Bottom