Otter Poultry - Rudolf & Jowanita De Villiers

Otter Poultry

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2024
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? - Hi, we are Rudolf and Jowanita De Villiers from South Africa. We have been raising and attempt to breed show quality Rhode Island Red and Japanese Bantam chickens. We have been busy for less than a year now, also one of the reasons why we joined your group, as we need some advice and help with a few things.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have about 40 chickens, different ages.

(3) What breeds do you have? We have Rhode Island Red and Japanese Bantam chickens

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? We enjoy spending free time with our small flock and learning the different characteristics and habits of the chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? We ride offroad motorcycle. Mostly we are a timid couple and like to spend time at home.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We dont have children. Im 43 yrs and my wife is 33. We have five wonderful Boston Terriers as children. I am a SHEQ manager and my wife is a stay at home mom ;)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? We were busy browsing and looking for ideas and advice and found the best threads on BYC.

Welcome to BYC!
Do you need help with something specific right now?
Thank you so much !!
We are busy getting ready for winter and are busy manufacturing oil burners to help the chickens cope with the cold South African winter.
We will post questions as we go along, specific to feed requirements, bedding, nesting, medication and vaccines. Thank you for asking, we appreciate it.

Thank you so much !!
We are busy getting ready for winter and are busy manufacturing oil burners to help the chickens cope with the cold South African winter.
We will post questions as we go along, specific to feed requirements, bedding, nesting, medication and vaccines. Thank you for asking, we appreciate it.
I have NO CLUE how cold it gets there but unless it gets way below zero you won't need to add heat for full grown birds. Just make sure they can stay dry and not have wind blow on them at night.

Back
Top Bottom