Our coop is started! Here's our page

Congratulations on your find in the "man cave."
It's funny, but I often have dreams where I find a hidden spot in my house or property where all kinds of great stuff is hidden. Sometimes I dream that I find a chicken coop all ready to go with even electricity hooked up.
I'll be checking back to see how your coop is coming along.

Wow aren't you lucky I would love to "find" wood etc...and windows for a green house!!!
th.gif

It is really a lot of fun to go exploring in there! I feel like a little kid with my husband's oversized leather gloves & my heavy weight overalls on and a big flashlight, crawling all over the woodpile & digging through another layer looking for treasure! Just found some old silverplate spoons down there.

Now, if we can just find a sealed jar full of money, that would really make it Treasure Island!
lol.png

Quote:
I found about 20 sheets of glass,2x4s,2x6,2x8 and a car bumber when we bought our house(oh and a grave marker)
THose were some awesome findings.

Last edited:
Check out the corners of your treasure room with a metal detector
hmm.png
....back years ago the old timers would typically bury stuff of value in the corners of cellars!
lol.png
You are soooo lucky to have this treasure !!!
big_smile.png
My hubby and I both would be on cloud 9 if we found a stash of old wood as, we love to do woodworking !!!!
wink.png

That reminds me of my Dad! He had a garden shed with a dirt floor in it. He kept it locked and we know he hid money in there.. When he died unexpectedly no one was able to find any and of course he'd never told us kids where to look!
I still wonder how much was stashed in that shed... My Mom sold the place right away and most of the contents was just left in shed for new owners!
Wish I had thought to use a metal detector back then!

Quote:
Its been a great blessing finding all this stuff in good shape. So much stuff to build with and all kinds of strange bits we don't quite know what they are.

My husband dug under the corners of the parts of the floor that he put the new wooden flooring on, and he had to move a lot of dirt around to get a level surface before putting that floor in. No money jars yet!
sad.png
Under the huge woodpile, though, we have to get to the bottom to find the corners! That is still all dirt. Who knows what we'll find next?

There are oodles of nails, screws, pieces of pipe, bolts, cement rebar, all kinds of metal things in the dirt down there that would make using a metal detector to find something interesting rather difficult. But my dad does have one. Maybe I'll have him bring it out next time he's here just for the fun of it!

We also found several bagged blocks of interlocking shingles (the kind you use in very windy areas) and rolls of tarpaper. That's a relief! One more thing we don't have to buy and there is more than enough for the coop.

The oil based stain is still curing on the coop floor, so Bill hasn't built anything new yet (its cold and damp, so we weren't expecting it to cure quickly) and now we're working out the measurements for the front of the coop so he knows what windows we're using, where they and the nests should go, where I want the loft etc. Opa kindly sent us the instructions/plans for some great nest boxes and I have some teens that can start those this weekend.

I'll let you know when updates go up on the page.

Back
Top Bottom