Our First Coop

pennypenny

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015

Our first coop for our first small flock is almost move in ready! It has been so fun to research and design! Had an old armoire to use as the roosting area. We are in Bakersfield Ca so we have hot summers and mild winters so I am hoping it will be enough space. I expect adjustments to be need as we learn, but I think we are at a good starting place!
Now to pick up some feeders, waterers, toys and perching logs. Oh and I think I still need a dusting box too!
Anything else I am missing?

It's beautiful, and looks pretty roomy, too. The only thing I kinda question is that the nesting boxes appear to be much higher than the roosts. That can be a problem. They like to roost as high as they can get. If the nest boxes are higher than the roosts, then they are going to want to roost in them instead. This can lead to them, at the very least, roosting in them and resulting in poopy eggs, and at worst, them getting into the habit of laying everywhere but in the nests. I'm not trying to be critical, but it's just a thought.

It's beautiful, and looks pretty roomy, too. The only thing I kinda question is that the nesting boxes appear to be much higher than the roosts. That can be a problem. They like to roost as high as they can get. If the nest boxes are higher than the roosts, then they are going to want to roost in them instead. This can lead to them, at the very least, roosting in them and resulting in poopy eggs, and at worst, them getting into the habit of laying everywhere but in the nests. I'm not trying to be critical, but it's just a thought.
Blooie, you're never what I call 'critical' you just have a great eye for seeing things and explaining them. I wish I could be as tactful, LOL

OP love the coop! great way to repurpose something that otherwise wasn't being 'purposed' at all!

It's beautiful, and looks pretty roomy, too.  The only thing I kinda question is that the nesting boxes appear to be much higher than the roosts.  That can be a problem.  They like to roost as high as they can get.  If the nest boxes are higher than the roosts, then they are going to want to roost in them instead.  This can lead to them, at the very least, roosting in them and resulting in poopy eggs, and at worst, them getting into the habit of laying everywhere but in the nests.  I'm not trying to be critical, but it's just a thought.

Thank you Blooie! I will take any and all suggestions ;) we are total newbies! We played around with the bar positions and figures we would start somewhere and adjust them as needed once the girls are using them. Thanks again, I may raise them up ahead of time now!

Thank you Blooie! I will take any and all suggestions
wink.png
we are total newbies! We played around with the bar positions and figures we would start somewhere and adjust them as needed once the girls are using them. Thanks again, I may raise them up ahead of time now!
Guess what? You're only a newbie once! So relax and have some fun with it - by this time next year you will have figured out what parts of your set up work well and which could use some alteration. Mine is still a work in progress - we are moving nest boxes and roosts ourselves in the next few days because I decided I wanted to. Love to give you some fancy, well thought out reason, but the plain truth is just what I said.
wink.png

I wonder how you would be able to move the nests down and the roosts up, since you have the cutout and the outside nest access already done. Hmmm

I have the following for ventilation in my coop:

North side - Vent in the upper wall which can be opened or closed, depending on prevailing winds. Vertical vent 6"x24" which we block in winter with a bit of foam on the outside because it is not operable.

East side - Operating window. Pop door left open 24/7. Mobile home exhaust fan which can operate either open with the fan running for active ventilation or just opened without the fan for passive.

South side - Operating window.

West side - Operable 8"x8" vent low to the floor. Operable vent in the upper wall. Operable window.

There is a gap between the walls of the coop and the roof - that is left open with screening to keep out hornets, wasps, and bats - yep, bats.

I live in Northern Wyoming, not too far from Yellowstone Park. My coop is unheated and un-insulated. Vents were left open all winter, as was the pop door. There is no odor in the coop. The deep litter is doing what it's supposed to do.....and my chickens thrived all winter. You can see the build and the ventilation I have by clicking on "MY COOP" under my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom