Our little girl

dixielife74

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2015
Hattiesburg, MS
We need some help identifying the breed of our little hen. I sort of recall the man who sold her saying something about a duck wing. Not sure what that means. She may be a mutt and if so that's just fine because we love this sweet girl.

We bought her and our rooster as an immature mismatched pair a year and a half ago. You can see she's quite small compared to the rooster. She lays a small white egg every 3-4 days. She has a very quiet delicate peep and is shy but loves her rooster. She never leaves his side..

Mismatch? I'd say you have a wonderful match. If you ever hatch babies, they may be beautiful. Duckwing is referred to as the coloring and pattern of her feathers. In her case she is a silver duckwing (color and pattern, not breed). How much does she weight? Over 2 pounds? Less than 1 pound?

She isn't quite right for silver duckwing. At least in the first picture, it looks like she does not have the rosy-brown / salmon-colored chest that duckwing hens have. I would bet she's a mix. She is totally gorgeous, either way! :love

Edited for wording, sorry...

Last edited:
Thank you for your comment. She is less than a pound. She hatched 5 chicks last summer that my sister took to her coop. Sadly something got into the coop and got them and my sister's silkies.

Back
Top Bottom