Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Pics
Oh, I’ll bet they do!!!
I think I may have heard Trumpy Bear trying to crow... it was a sound I’ve never heard from my gals! I thought someone choked and died :gig.... still not sure it was him... I’ll keep you posted!
And guess what..... chicken butt! 😆.... no, just kidding...... we are horse hunting:wee.... super exciting!!
It probably was him, I love those adolescent rooster crows...so cute...I'll never forget Little Roo scaring himself & everyone else...😂 I loved having my horse...I'm so excited for you & can't wait to see what you find!💞

Welcome @Three Little Bunnies! I bought 16 of my chicks from Hoover's hatchery, they all arrived very healthy. I bought 4 from our local Ranch & Home, but they also came from Hoover's and a friend gave me 3 white Silkies. So I currently have 23, the 1st 16 are 16 weeks, 4 are 14 weeks & I'm not sure about the Silkies, but I'm guessing they are about the same age! A few posts back from yours is a couple of current pictures & a video of them! 💞
Thanks! I got fifteen from Hoover's. Two didn't make it, but the other thirteen are almost 10 months old now!

Thanks! I got fifteen from Hoover's. Two didn't make it, but the other thirteen are almost 10 months old now!
It's hard when you lose them, but it sounds like the rest are doing well. I also see that you have rabbits...we have 3. Do you have a thread about your animals? I would love to see them! 💞

Getting ready for eggs! I opened up the nesting boxes today and we put the dividers in place:wee I need to decide what I want to use for nesting material! I have Timothy hay that I think would line them nicely, I've also looked at buying artificial turf as that would be quite cushioned and is washable, but a little spendy! What do you all use for your boxes? :)

We finished up as the flock was coming in for the night! Spazzy and Pearl...looking on!
Nesting Box Dividers in place 7.13.2020.jpg

I need to decide what I want to use for nesting material! I have Timothy hay that I think would line them nicely,
That is what I use as nesting material as well as floor bedding. I sometimes purchase alfalfa hay if Timothy is not available at Farm store. I prefer hay to straw, because hay is eatable. while straw is not. (straw has about zero nutrition, so is not eatable in that sense)

Unrelated to nesting, but did want to somewhat clarify how I use grass clippings in my run. Many here are aware of this, but there are always new readers that could benefit from this clarification. I always spread out the clippings as I drop them. A 3 to 4 inch thick/deep layer is what I usually rake to. If you would leave in a pile,,,,,,,,,,, in no time, (like next day) the pile starts to decompose, and turn hot. Then somewhat unpleasant odors accompany the decomposition. When spread out thin layer, the decomposition does not start, and the grass dries into really nice hay type ground-cover. :thumbsup

Getting ready for eggs! I opened up the nesting boxes today and we put the dividers in place:wee I need to decide what I want to use for nesting material! I have Timothy hay that I think would line them nicely, I've also looked at buying artificial turf as that would be quite cushioned and is washable, but a little spendy! What do you all use for your boxes? :)

We finished up as the flock was coming in for the night! Spazzy and Pearl...looking on!
View attachment 2242575

I use large chips, that's about all I can find around at a reasonable cost.

Is Spazzy the pretty muffed girl? What a sweet face!

That is what I use as nesting material as well as floor bedding. I sometimes purchase alfalfa hay if Timothy is not available at Farm store. I prefer hay to straw, because hay is eatable. while straw is not. (straw has about zero nutrition, so is not eatable in that sense)

Unrelated to nesting, but did want to somewhat clarify how I use grass clippings in my run. Many here are aware of this, but there are always new readers that could benefit from this clarification. I always spread out the clippings as I drop them. A 3 to 4 inch thick/deep layer is what I usually rake to. If you would leave in a pile,,,,,,,,,,, in no time, (like next day) the pile starts to decompose, and turn hot. Then somewhat unpleasant odors accompany the decomposition. When spread out thin layer, the decomposition does not start, and the grass dries into really nice hay type ground-cover. :thumbsup
Thank you...I will put some Timothy hay in there today!
Thank you for sharing how you use the clippings....that's what I did! I'm new to the forum, but :old to composting...lol! 💞

I use large chips, that's about all I can find around at a reasonable cost.

Is Spazzy the pretty muffed girl? What a sweet face!
Thank you Debby! Reasonable cost is the key! The Timothy hay I get is pretty inexpensive...so that's what I will use!
Yes, she's my Salmon Faverolle...she is a sweet girl!💞

Back
Top Bottom