Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Good morning all! We have another escape artist...one of my RIR girls was out when we got home yesterday. My husband put her back in and when I went out to check on everyone after they had gone in the coop...I heard her over under our contorted mulberry tree and she came moseying back toward me, taking her own sweet time, I was able to pick her up and set her on a roost bar in the coop. This morning I looked out our bedroom door and she was down below having a nice morning stroll. I think she must be flying out...I will try and get it figured out and see if we can get her contained. My husband is going to get tired of chicken proofing the pen...it's been going so well up to this point...she will get herself killed if I can't figure it out...silly hen! :(
I'd laugh ~ but I know the frustration all too well.

Good morning Debby! I've been through OK too, but it's been a very long time ago! I actually think it will fit their personalities perfectly! It's a 25 hour drive from our place, but we won't have to do that in one day! I forgot to mention another reason they decided not to live in Hawaii, they want to have another baby too, so I'm extremely excited about that!

Another baby is a great reason to stay within the continental states!

Yeah...I know! I don't think we would move to Oklahoma...if we headed that direction it would be someplace like MO! I lived there for a short time when I was a kid and it's beautiful...it's also ranked 3rd for states to retire to...it would be very affordable for us...I don't know when it would ever happen...but when your son is showing you pictures of houses in a beautiful area, not to far from the grandbabies, you can't help but think about it...:D

MO is prettier than OK (in my humble opinion)...down around the Ozarks is gorgeous, always loved those rolling hills and all the trees and lakes. And I'm sure they have golf courses too!

The great escape part 3!!! I went back out to see if I could figure out what was happening and I had 3 hens on the loose! :barnie I managed to catch them and place them back into their pen. I then stood around to see if they would try to escape again...my patience was rewarded! As you all know we have more than a few rocks on our property...well...my smarty RIR figured out that a certain rock along that fence line allowed her to slip through one of the upper holes! I went and got hubs and he came out and grabbed some more wire and we blocked them in one more time...I should mention that by the time we got back out there to fix the problem, I had 4 hens out...definitely not dumb...:gig

Wait...what, I know there was an opening here somewhere...thwarted once again...:D
Thwarted 12.04.2020.jpg

Last edited:
Another baby is a great reason to stay within the continental states!

MO is prettier than OK (in my humble opinion)...down around the Ozarks is gorgeous, always loved those rolling hills and all the trees and lakes. And I'm sure they have golf courses too!
Yes another little is the perfect reason and at least I can drive to see them and enjoy some of our beautiful country on the way!

I agree..MO is much prettier! We lived in the Ozarks for just a short time and it was amazing! The area my son wants us to move to is Table Rock Lake...we looked at some of the golf courses and they were kind of unbelievable!

Yes another little is the perfect reason and at least I can drive to see them and enjoy some of our beautiful country on the way!

I agree..MO is much prettier! We lived in the Ozarks for just a short time and it was amazing! The area my son wants us to move to is Table Rock Lake...we looked at some of the golf courses and they were kind of unbelievable!

The Table Rock Lake area is very pretty (and a lot closer to OK than WA is).

The great escape part 3!!! I went back out to see if I could figure out what was happening and I had 3 hens on the loose! :barnie I managed to catch them and place them back into their pen. I then stood around to see if they would try to escape again...my patience was rewarded! As you all know we have more than a few rocks on our property...well...my smarty RIR figured out that a certain rock along that fence line allowed her to slip through one of the upper holes! I went and got hubs and he came out and grabbed some more wire and we blocked them in one more time...I should mention that by the time we got back out there to fix the problem, I had 4 hens out...definitely not dumb...:gig

Wait...what, I know there was an opening here somewhere...thwarted once again...:D
View attachment 2437034
Perfect. Good thing they are not smart enough to avoid escaping while we are watching. 😆

Back
Top Bottom