Our Mixed Flock Journey!

ByBob :hugsI have limited vocabulary,,,, have to use spoilers..

I had 3, and none of mine got picked on. They were Large Fowl version on these 3. Long ago I did have a bantam. :love Banties my FAV,,,,

Just my View attachment 2500335
I think a Mini inside run is better, since after a stretch of time in garage, you have to re- integrate. Inside run in Mini keeps that step un-needed.
The area that I will use is almost the full width of the pen, so it's a bit of a small run with full exposure to everyone except at bedtime and I will have roost bars set up in there too!
That's a good point...I love your two cents worth, but when I had to sequester Pearl, she reintegrated with no problem when she was well, maybe I just got lucky! I think I will let the temps determine where I place them, if it's too hot or too cold and they are sick, I can provide a more stable environment inside...if they are broody and the weather isn't too cold, mini coop is where they will be!

I finally had some time to spend with my flock! The weather was beautiful...if a bit on the chilly side! I gave them a treat of chicken scratch and then I filled their feeders and gave them fresh water (for some reason that we can't determine they have quit using the water nipple bar :confused:) I then blocked off the entrance to the enclosed pen so that I could let my broody girl get some food and water! Several of the hens wanted in and I was thinking they might want to lay eggs, so I opened it back up...Spazzy was fine with the hens, but she was not happy when the roosters came in...she wanted nothing to do with them! She flew up on the tree branch roost beside me squawking the whole time...lol! I gently herded the boys out and closed the door again. She hopped down and continued to chow down on some food and drink some more water. She lasted about 10 minutes doing this, scrambled back into the coop, to sit in an empty nesting box...silly girl! Lol!
Nom Nom...food is good!
Broody Spazzy Chowing Down.jpg

Some water to wash it down!
Broody Spazzy Water 1.23.2021.jpg

Please protect me from the roosters...:gig I love this little hen! :love
Broody Spazzy No Roosters Pleeeaaase 1.23.2021.jpg

I feel that my Salmon Faverolles is picked on and I've often wished that I had purchased two, thinking that might have helped her...but there is no way to know for sure!

Yes, I buy in pairs but even so I have a young Vorwerk on her own as her running mate died. She is ok though as she has teamed up with my GLW.

Yes, I buy in pairs but even so I have a young Vorwerk on her own as her running mate died. She is ok though as she has teamed up with my GLW.
I'm so glad that she has a buddy...your girls are so beautiful! :love

I'm trying to decide if I should get 2 BLRW...I think the Orpington will be fine as I have 3 others, but I'm also hoping since I'm bringing in so few this year that the Orpington and the BLRW will pair up...I don't want to get too many!

I also walked around the free range pen today looking at the places that I would like to install the folding bench seats!

Of course walking into the pen I always have company...right under my feet! 💞
Underfoot  1.23.2021.jpg

Bench 1! Ophelia is helping...this would be a great place...you could get some sunshine and see everything that goes on around here! :love
Ophelia - Bench location 1   1.23.2021.jpg

Bench location 2! This will be nicely shaded, but with a little bit of sun exposure during the summer!
Bench location 2  1.23.2021.jpg

Bench location 3! The closest tree stump. I will be able to watch as the flock is dust bathing, this is their favorite location. Forgive the overexposed picture, but I wanted you to see the view of their area in the corner!
Bench location 3  1.23.2021.jpg

Bench location 4! This will be a great spot on the hottest of days!
Bench location 4  1.23.2021.jpg

I finally had some time to spend with my flock! The weather was beautiful...if a bit on the chilly side! I gave them a treat of chicken scratch and then I filled their feeders and gave them fresh water (for some reason that we can't determine they have quit using the water nipple bar :confused:) I then blocked off the entrance to the enclosed pen so that I could let my broody girl get some food and water! Several of the hens wanted in and I was thinking they might want to lay eggs, so I opened it back up...Spazzy was fine with the hens, but she was not happy when the roosters came in...she wanted nothing to do with them! She flew up on the tree branch roost beside me squawking the whole time...lol! I gently herded the boys out and closed the door again. She hopped down and continued to chow down on some food and drink some more water. She lasted about 10 minutes doing this, scrambled back into the coop, to sit in an empty nesting box...silly girl! Lol!
Nom Nom...food is good!
View attachment 2500418

Some water to wash it down!
View attachment 2500420

Please protect me from the roosters...:gig I love this little hen! :love
View attachment 2500422
I just looooooove Spazzy! ❤ 😍

I don't usually create such long posts...but it was very therapeutic...instead of motor mouth it was motor fingers...lol
Thank you Bob, I am looking forward to a somewhat quieter day!💗 When hubs gets back from golf we will be working on cabinets and rearranging rooms for all of the changes going on here. It shouldn't be too stressful as long as we do a good job of reading each others minds during the process...:gig
It always helps to accurately read each other's minds. 😉

Back
Top Bottom