Our new chicks

Lismac

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
We got our first chicks a week ago. I know we have an americauna and a rhode island white, not sure about the other two. Brooding them inside in a box with a 75 W bulb, They are doing well and eating the feed like there is no tomorrow. The feed store where we bought them told us they needed to be indoors for about 3 months (It has been down to mid 20s at night past several weeks) I am reading in the forum that many people put them outside at 3-5 weeks. New to this so we want to do what is right.

I have raised many chicks from the day they were hatched to coop ready age ( i wouldn't put them uin the coop any earlier than eight to ten weeks old this time of year. I live in upsate NY and we have very fridged temps in the the winter ( -0) often. I use 250 whatt brooder lamps and make sure there are absolutley no drafts in there brooder that i keep in the barn. They will be feathered out by 5 to 6 weeks but I would still wait to put them in a coop until 8 to 10 weeks. I have never started them in the house but have heard of many people that do. Either way if you move them outside make sure you use a heat lamp not a 75 whatt bulb. Hope this helps :)

Pics... we LOVE pics of baby chicks on here! :)
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom