Our Possum problem

Those possums probably climbed right up the fencing that's slanted. I also don't see an apron, and I see chicken wire.
Chain link fencing is a big concern- you have a bit of that. Coons pull heads through chainlink- so do possums.
Okay, thanks. The chainlink gate is an old dog kennel gate, that we use to open/close the run when we free range. The chicken wire was put up after that cat climbed it, to try to cover the top. It has since fallen down, and is not attached to any part of the fencing.
You are right, we have no apron. I have never thought of putting one in. I have thought of burying the fencing about 6" but have been told it's too much work.

Are there any changes, adjustments, or improvements I should make to my run/coops?
I am building a new run for the second coop in spring, so any advice is appreciated.

It is not too hard to put in the apron. I just used a pick axe to make the trench. I put stones in the bottom as well. The run needs to be beefed up to be secure.

Okay, thanks. The chainlink gate is an old dog kennel gate, that we use to open/close the run when we free range. The chicken wire was put up after that cat climbed it, to try to cover the top. It has since fallen down, and is not attached to any part of the fencing.
You are right, we have no apron. I have never thought of putting one in. I have thought of burying the fencing about 6" but have been told it's too much work.

Are there any changes, adjustments, or improvements I should make to my run/coops?
I am building a new run for the second coop in spring, so any advice is appreciated.
I would add an apron. I would remove the chainlink. I would make it bigger and stop free ranging.
18" apron on top of the ground, staked down, works.

Now, here's the question: How do I manage/eradicate the resident possum population?
No, you can't eradicate them all,
but please tell me you killed the ones you did trap.
Gotta wonder if that huge barn is housing these possums.

Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

You did not say where the dead were found?

I bet it is the cat 100%, or all the opossum bringing more predators like fox, weasel or owl to eat your birds. Opossum don't have the kind of teeth to tear flesh like that, they want chicken feed, but actually eating chicken would be crazy work, and other birds would fend "ol' flat tooth' off.

You did not say where the dead were found?

I bet it is the cat 100%, or all the opossum bringing more predators like fox, weasel or owl to eat your birds. Opossum don't have the kind of teeth to tear flesh like that, they want chicken feed, but actually eating chicken would be crazy work, and other birds would fend "ol' flat tooth' off.
umm possums are known chicken killers.. as a kid I had a flock almost wiped out.. we were blaming the coons and thought the possum was just eating ones the coon killed... we got rid of the coons and it wasn't until we deceided to get rid of the possum that the killing stopped... as an adult i built a predator proof hoop coop and haven't had any losses.. foot prints on the coop so i know they are around.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-to-protect-your-chickens-from-possums.47711/
http://www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-predators.html

So, we know we've had a predator/pest problem for a while. But it wasn't until recently that we realized the magnitude of the problem.
A little backstory (hang in there)...
About 1 year ago or so we had a possum kill and eat one of our Light Brahma cockerels. :mad: So, we set out a live trap and caught 2 possums in the span of a week. After catching no more for several weeks, we thought we had gotten rid of the problem.
Then, we had a cat climb the fence of our run and attack our girls right in front of me. So, we set up another trap. Every night, for 2 weeks. Right in front of our chicken run. In the span of those 2 weeks we caught 4 possums.
Most recently, we have a spell of many, many possum sightings and trappings. We have seen 3 in 1 night and caught 2 in 1 night on a few occasions and for a week straight we caught a possum every night.
My friend and I recently saw a possum in the coop with 7 of our birds. Luckily, nobody was hurt but a possum had attacked about 1 week prior, pulling the tail feathers off one of the pullets.

Now, here's the question: How do I manage/eradicate the resident possum population?

Unfortunately, poison and kill traps are not an option. I have an indoor/outdoor cat who has been known to eat anything and everything that he can fit in his mouth. I have also had one of my own hens get herself caught in the live trap set for a possum :he

We do know that something (suspected the groundhogs we know we have) are digging holes in the floor of our barn and coop. I have found 3 already. 1 is inaccessible. However, when I plug up the holes that I can reach they either dig around the plug, or dig a new hole. I have seen the possums run into 1 of these holes when I've chased them off. At the moment, the barn is chock full of things stored for the winter, so for now we cannot pour a cement floor. We WILL be doing that in spring/summer, though.

Sorry for the long thread, and thanks in advance for any help. All opinions, questions, and discussions are welcome.

First: I hope that you are not recycling those possums that you have managed to catch already. Recycling is all that catch and release is.

Second: groundhogs or woodchucks are a chicken keepers' worst nightmare. They excavate nice cozy burrows and dens custom made for foxes, coyotes, skunks, bobcats, badgers, coons, mink, and yes opossums.

Back
Top Bottom