Outdoor Water Heater

Great idea for chickens not sure it would work very well for water fowl being at ground level unless you covered most of the bucket to keep them from climbing in.

Last edited:
I can just imagine how the dirt would look around that bucket too. The coop floor would be a mud pit. Water fowl are so messy.
You might be surprised. In order to keep the composting going a certain amount of water needs to be spilled. I do agree that waterfowl can be incredibly messy.

I would recommend building a lid for it. Start by turning the bucket upside down on a piece of plywood (exterior grade plywood recommended) and tracing the outline of the bucket. Add four equidistant tabs around the perimeter of the bucket that are approximately 2" to 3" wide and overhang by approximately 3/4" to 1". These tabs will be where you attach pieces of 1"x2" to keep the lid centered over the bucket. I recommend marking a second circle so that it is approximately 2" inside the circle formed by tracing the bucket. This circle will be your cutting line. Remember to not cut off the tabs. I recommend adding a handle in the middle to make it easier to remove the lid when needed. I also recommend using a good quality paint on the lid once it is made.

An example to try to show what I am talking about. Since I am using a flat back bucket, one side would be straight rather than circular.
full

Last edited:
Some people will put a ping pong ball in there water to make it not freeze, but eventually it will still freeze....I would go with a heated dog water bowl( I am asking for one for Christmas):)

Back
Top Bottom