Over 72 hours in the mail

Pics
Well, my little chickie passed away about two hours ago :( We're sad, but glad he isn't suffering. I suspect FTT because he was way tinier than the RK chicks that they received today. I'd thought he was a banty maybe, but the ID forum said RIR probably. My son and I just did some searching about Rouen vs Mallard ducklings, and I think we have a Rouen, s/he's got two very defined dark stripes on the face and lots of dark on his tummy. The rest of the crew seems to be thriving, so I'm extremely grateful for that. Hubby was being silly and put one of the goslings on the floor and it chased our Shih-Poo around the kitchen. (No worries, we were right beside to grab if needed, but we introduced earlier and she only had mild curiosity. Our GSD pup got a peck on the nose so he's not too interested in them, either, right now) They've tucked themselves into the Mama Cave and seem to be settling in for the night. It's been a rough few days, so here's hoping it's downhill from here!

So sorry about the little chic.
I'm glad the others are providing you with plenty of antics!

i had a similar experience with chicks from Hoovers in Iowà, TWICE! They went to Minneapolis once and to Memphis once. Both orders leFT Iowa on Tuesday, arrived in Arkansas Saturday. Neither had extra packing or heat packs in the box. Finally got my money refunded and ordered from Ideal. Still took till Saturday to get here but the trip was warmer due to the 10 roosters they added for that purpose. and all survived. Now if I could find a home for all these roosters....

They’re napping right now, all alive and accounted for. Hubby said they weren’t too pleased when he scooped them all out of the cave to check on them this morning

They’re all eating the fermented food with no problems (was a little concerned because the ducks had been on dry crumble at RK that they might resist mine), drinking well. Making a beautiful mess

Obviously I need a bigger brooder so I’ll be making that this week. Think a 4’ x4’ will be big enough for two goslings and a dozen ducklings for a month?

Attachments

• 9E1FA31D-47CA-4EDE-A631-675CE1E1538E.jpeg
    9E1FA31D-47CA-4EDE-A631-675CE1E1538E.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 21
Adorable. 4x4 May work go as large as you can and remember eventually those ducklings and goslings will jump so depth matters too.

Last time when we were brooding chicks, I built a 4'x4' with 2' sides and a top with hardware cloth, and we brooded on the back porch (we have a huge covered back porch). When we bought 100ish? can't remember exactly, then I built a hover brooder, but I'm really liking the mama cave for many reasons, mostly the lesser fire risk and much lower electricity usage, so I'll probably stick with that from now on. I just can't remember what we did with the goslings, we had 4 African, so I know they were big pretty quick, but I don't know which brooder we used with them. I'm not positive about the dozen ducks yet, Ideal doesn't seem to have KCs available in the near future, so I'm trying to decide whether Cayuga or Blue Swedish, or what would be an option. Guess I'll find out when I call them in the morning. If RK has guineas left in the morning, I have a feeling I'm going to be bringing some home :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom