Overheating?

How about chicks that are making sounds like a donkey ? Breying... everytime she breathes in she makes a high pitch squeak and exhails with the same sound...

Kinda sounds like he'a he'a he'a he'a he'a

(HEE AH) in a high pitch tone

Any ideas?

Thanks

We've had temps over 100 for so long I can't remember what it was like to get anything different. I've lost a couple. They free range and get under the porch, or wade in their pool. I just figure its culling the weaker ones and will utimately make the flock better.

Quote:
Mine do that, and only when they are very hot. Or sound like a goose honking. Which, since May, has been almost every day. My Lord I can't remember a hotter year. I know there have been some, but I sure don't remember it. "Pool," fan, shade, wet place in the shade every day, and so far no losses
fl.gif

I noticed some Jacksonville folks on here, so that is even better! (I live on the Southside.) It is pushing a 110 degree humiditure here today, and all my gals are literally panting! I put a big box fan out for them, added ice, and, luckily enough, they are smart enough to stay in the shade. (I even wet down some of the sand in their shady area, thinking that may help keep it just a tad cooler.) What else can possibly be done for them shy of bringing them inside? (Don't laugh, I considered it!) It is going to be a looong hot summer, ugh!
hmm.png

~Tracee

I'm W of Jacksonville, a couple other things I'm doing.....
I freeze water bottles, and put them in the waterers, change them out 2 or 3 times a day to help keep their drinking water cool.
Lasts longer than ice cubes.
Also freeze water filled milk jugs or vinegar jugs and hang them in front of a fan to cool the air more. I hang one by their roosts in the evening.

I appreciate it. Other than "pray for rain" (which, of course, happened as soon as I started to try one more thing!) I read around about giving them a pool, which was on the agenda, just not yet, so I went out and filled 2 "pools" and then Mother Nature teased us just long enough to make the humidity even more unbearable. I have utilized frozen water bottles before for when I had rabbits in hutches, so that was going to be something I was going to try, but forgot about putting it in front of the fan- thanks. I work 12+ hours per day, so adding ice multiple times per day isn't going to work, so I will just freeze huge blocks and put them in the giant waterers I have. (I actually went to work today, then came home to work from here, so I could tend to all my animals, but I can't do that everyday.) They have ample shade & can dig in the dirt, so I guess maybe I'm just an overprotective hen mama! I am going to build an "animal house" that I can heat & cool for the bunnies, chickens, cats, dogs, and whatever else winds up coming to live with me, I just need find time!
D.gif
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom