Overnight Humidity Drop - Chicken Eggs

PineAcresFarm

Hatching
Oct 1, 2022
I started my first batch of hatching eggs yesterday using the Manna Pro 360 Degree Incubator. I added a Govee Wifi Thermometer Hygrometer inside so I could capture the temperature and RH data overtime. So last night before I went to bed, I made sure the humidity was between 50-55% (as I read it was recommended) but this morning when I woke up, I saw the RH was at 27%. I quickly added more water (since that seemed to be the problem) and closed the air vent to 1/2 instead of 3/4 open. I am completely new at this hatching egg journey and now I am freaking out... did my Day 1 Hatching Eggs get damaged for having a lower than 48% RH for a period of 5hrs or in your experience, will this be ok?

I also read some people noted that they like to keep humidity much lower on the first 3 days of incubation. If someone can provide more information on this, I would truly appreciate it!

They will likely be fine because it’s so early on, and I know people do keep the humidity lower like that on purpose to make sure the eggs lose enough moisture. Humidity becomes much more important during lockdown.

I have the same incubator and I eventually rolled up a towel and wrapped it around the back and side walls to help keep my temps more stable. The fall weather around here varies enough to make hatches a bit tricky!

I’m on day 21 with my first pip for the hatch. It’s always so exciting ☺️

I understand your cause for concern as a new hatcher but try to relax. In reality, the only time to be extremely concerned about a drop in humidity is when the eggs are pipping.
Keep in mind that hens have very good success hatching their eggs, but they don't use a hygrometer. In nature, humidity can be all over the board. Around here, ambient humidity can be anywhere from about 30% to near 100%. A hen is in those conditions and only has so much control over it, mostly by hunkering down over the nest trying to retain moisture. In artificial incubation, unless one has a precision automatic system, it may be all over the board as well and humidity doesn't need to be a set number. The most important thing to achieve with humidity is to get about a 12% weight loss from fresh weight by the time you raise the humidity significantly.
There are many more critical factors than humidity on any one day and many of those begin long before setting the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom