Overpopulated parks?

Nothing irritates me more than people taking wild duck eggs or wild ducks that are not meant to be domesticated!

This thread definitely isn't that. This is a person saving ducks that have been dumped by neglectful owners.

Thank you for being a loving person to nature :hugs Most people wouldn't even care about it. I really admire people like you!

I would've done the same exact thing. These poor ducks!

This is why I frown at TSC selling brooders of ducklings. Chicks are bad enough. Poor fellas. They can't control who their customers are because it's public. Ignorance is bliss. People don't do enough research and simply don't know what they are committing to when they agree to brood ducklings or goslings and end up with a mess. I've been there. It's how I lost my first chick, a BCM from coccidiosis. I had them in the same brooder before I knew what I was doing. It would be nice if TSC and similar stores would require some form of customer education prior to purchase so people at least understand what to do. We have seen people kill chicks from ignorance. It happens. I've witnessed hypothermia from ppl being cheap and not wanting to get heat lamps. One polish literally had his plume(whatever you call it) literally scorched off from a heating plate being kept too low and died, lady had nerve to ask for more and was politely educated. Waterfowl are worse than chicks. I honestly feel we live in a day and age where everyone wants to hit technology's easy button and most folks ain't got a clue as to what a straight rake is... That easy button kills brain cells! Most people can't take care of their kids much less a chick, duckling, or gosling. I just expected they know how to look in front of them in an area where children play... It's sad to be so careless.

While I was deep into my duckling desire/fantasy, I looked TSC and found that they sell ducklings in sets of 10. I wanted one, maybe two to start with, so that was a no go. From what I gather TSC sells to farmers and pretty much assumes that you're buying poultry to get eggs and/or meat to sell or consume. They're selling livestock, not pets.

Checking out Petco/Petsmarter, while they do sell birds, they sell parakeets and canary, not ducks or anything considered to be poultry. So as of now my duckling options are 10 or zero. Or order two or three online for shipment paying $10-$15 for the ducklings and then $50 "small order" surcharge. Plus shipping. So, nope.

Figure come Spring if I decide to "bite the feather" and get a couple of ducklings, I'll look around for private owner to see if they want to part with them for a sane price.

While I was deep into my duckling desire/fantasy, I looked TSC and found that they sell ducklings in sets of 10. I wanted one, maybe two to start with, so that was a no go. From what I gather TSC sells to farmers and pretty much assumes that you're buying poultry to get eggs and/or meat to sell or consume. They're selling livestock, not pets.

Checking out Petco/Petsmarter, while they do sell birds, they sell parakeets and canary, not ducks or anything considered to be poultry. So as of now my duckling options are 10 or zero. Or order two or three online for shipment paying $10-$15 for the ducklings and then $50 "small order" surcharge. Plus shipping. So, nope.

Figure come Spring if I decide to "bite the feather" and get a couple of ducklings, I'll look around for private owner to see if they want to part with them for a sane price.
Once they have chicks in store at TSC, I think the minimum for ducklings is 2. If you're placing a special off season order, the hatcheries will require minimum orders of 10.

if you baught 3 ducklings at 15$ each and a 50$ it would be just over 100$... if that means picking the breed and gender its a good price and saves getting too many males or the wrong breed. But it is alot

Some hobbyists and hatcheries are good at sexing, so what they are selling for "Straight run" ducklings are all the males that are worthless to them

But as pets i think hatching a small batch on your own is the best way to go, its like watching a miracle happen as they hatch, and the instant connection is soo sweet

I have noticed they start coming when I get out of the truck now. They know the lady with the Folgers can has food in there!
Such a wonderful thing you are doing helping those ducks :)
Our local park has an issue with people dumping ducks and geese as well. We just have a small setup for our ducks so we can't rescue but I do stop by when we are in the area to feed everyone. There is a nice pond for them there but it's still sad to see.
20190913_100406.jpg

Were they coming to you for food @Runner duck mom? And look at the coloring on the geese :love they look like they're wearing a V neck!
Would love to see that assortment at a park, but at the same time without the proper housing and nutrition it is sad :(
We hadn't even made it half way across the parking lot when they started coming over. Not sure if they recognize us yet or not but we never go without food and everyone comes right over.
It's quite the assortment Peking, mallards, one little runner, a big muscovy and a few others I can't identify. The geese are pretty friendly too and just beautiful.
The park did put up a sign saying what are good treats for them but not sure if that just encourages more people to leave their unwanted pets there :(

Back
Top Bottom