Overweight hen?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I have not weighed her yet but shes a BR Plymouth. She is the heaviest out of the flock. She acts normal so I dont know what I over weight hen would look or act like but she is just heavier than the rest. Any ideas?

Really, I would not worry about it. There is considerable genetic variation among individuals. I would not put her on a restriction diet.

But I would look hard at the rest of them, because if she is keeping others away from the feed, that might be a problem. It might not be that she is too heavy, but rather they are too light.

MK

Really, I would not worry about it. There is considerable genetic variation among individuals. I would not put her on a restriction diet.

But I would look hard at the rest of them, because if she is keeping others away from the feed, that might be a problem. It might not be that she is too heavy, but rather they are too light.

MK
Thank you, I never thought about that. When eating I would think my BO doesnt like to share as my Plymouth is more nice about it.

Update: I cant read scales and checked with google that her weight was around 2.224 and the 3 numbers kept going up while the 2 stayed so I thought it was 2 lbs but it was in kg. Google said she is around 4-5 pounds. Dont worry 😅*few*

Update: I cant read scales and checked with google that her weight was around 2.224 and the 3 numbers kept going up while the 2 stayed so I thought it was 2 lbs but it was in kg. Google said she is around 4-5 pounds. Dont worry 😅*few*
That’s about how much my BR hen weighs. Honestly, though, my biggest hen ( black sex-link ) weighs a whooping 9.6lbs and she’s not overweight; she’s just a big hen. She’s actually bigger than two of my roosters ( a Black Australorp & a Black Ameraucana ).

That’s about how much my BR hen weighs. Honestly, though, my biggest hen ( black sex-link ) weighs a whooping 9.6lbs and she’s not overweight; she’s just a big hen. She’s actually bigger than two of my roosters ( a Black Australorp & a Black Ameraucana ).
I think I'm going to get a scale I can read. But yes out of everyone shes my heaviest and the rest are soo much lighter but some way the same as my plymouth so I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. 😂

I had a Columbian rock hen who weighed seven pounds! She was built like a brick :lol: but definitely not overweight. 4-5 pounds seems pretty normal to me.

Back
Top Bottom