OVERWHELMED with CRAaaaaaap!!!!

Quote:
How old is your FIL?
lol.png

He met his!!
lau.gif

Now they go the senior center together!!

Well, drat!
wink.png

Quote:
When I was first reading this, I thought you were going to say "I'm for euthanasia right now...."

So sorry to hear everyone's having such a rotten day.

On the bright side, we all woke up to the sunshine (maybe even through rain clouds) to greet another day of our life adventure, right?

K, gotta go kick the cat or something now! LOL

I would not take the older lady's comments so hard. Many older folks have what's called 'labile mood' and their mood just ping pongs around to extremes. They also very often will forget where they put something and then think someone stole it. They can't remember. They can't help it.

I worked at a nursing home and listened regularly to cries of, 'they're all tryin' a KILL ME!', 'You all hate me!', 'I hate being here!!!!' and the like. It is of course hard for an older person to make a change and that can be a part of it too. The people who seemed to handle it the best at the nursing home, and the relatives who visited most often, were just - they just did not let any of it phase them.

I think just try to give her as much say so as you can in what affects her, do something nice for her, a boquet of flowers, a pie, something just peaceful and quiet and nice.

I recall one resident was crying on about how her grandchildren never visited her, her daughter got all upset and started shouting back, 'they do SO visit! they were just here'.

Then I watched a nurse handle it. She comes in with a cup of tea, gives the daughter a HUGE SMILE that says, 'you poor thing I know it's frustrating' and says, 'Mrs. Jones, are you upset, what's wrong dear?' 'Well my grandchildren never visit', 'Oh that feeling must make you awful sad'. 'Yes, and they just never visit'. 'How sad for you'. Old lady smiles brightly, 'Is that my tea?' 'Why yes it is, I was just thinking it's about time to bring you your tea, so here it is, just the way you like it'. 'Well thank you'. 'Oh now Mrs Jones, I do remember when your grandchildren came, wasn't the younger one wearing a beautiful pink dress? I think we have a picture of that'. 'I guess we do....', 'And I think I really liked that pink dress'. 'I did too'. 'And the girls they sewed those dresses, didn't they?' 'Yes.' 'And didn't they bring you a pink sweater and a card?' 'Why I think they did' 'Let's look at it together, oh yes, here it is'.

And no, I don't recall each word just right, but that's about how it went. Me and the daughter were both sitting there with our mouths hanging open in amazement but I never forgot it. A good lesson. The other thing she said was so simple - 'if you want them to calm down, give them something they can hold in their hand, best is something to eat'. Gives them something else to focus on. The other thing she told me was stick to a routine. Anything else throws them off and makes them nervous.

At one point I asked one of the nurses, 'How do you do it?' 'You jus don't get upset, that's all, think about something else'.

The thing is, the nurse isn't any smarter or better a person than any relative. They just have the practice and the training. Of course the relative has another issue, they feel pressured, worried, defensive about doing right by the relative, and they have pressure on them so they can't as easily relax, but it can be done.

Last edited:
I hope your day starts going better!
I'm just stressed out about going back to college. I don't want to leave my home, my family and my chickens (lol), AGAIN. I like school and all, it's just that I go to a... Well... Let's just say most of the people there (especially the girls) are just there because "Mommy-and-daddy-need-them-to-find-an-educated-husband/wife-to-take-care-of-them-so-great-auntie-will-leave-them-her-trust-fund"
smack.gif
I am SO a fish out of water. I fit in about as well as chicken in a flock of ducks.
roll.png
I just don't deal well with the attitudes of the "privileged" because I worked my BUTT off to get were I am. Don't get me wrond, there are tons of lovely people, but the vast majority just don't have a clue about how the world works, were money/food/clothes come from, nothing! I'm very proud of my farming background, but when people find out I keep *GASP* dirty, stinking chickens and that I actually *DOUBLEGASP* EAT THEIR MEAT AND EGGS, I swear they think I have the plague!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
I just want to be moved/settled in and going to class, so I'm not so worked up about it!
Wow.
Rant over!
roll.png
And I do feel better.

Quote:
Let me assure you that once you're out of college, that whole knowing how the world works thing REALLY comes in handy on job interviews, etc. Enjoy shocking them with chicken stories. You might as well get some fun out of their amazement.
lol.png

On the plus side, Cindiloohoo, this little ameraucana has turned into a boy and he's looking gorgeous already. At some point soon you will have a lovely black ameraucana roo to shower with love and affection. He's all yours whenever you want him!
smile.png

wee.gif
OH this is the thread for me today!!!! It is with utter glee that I unleash this onto all of you fine folks! This is all yesterday. So, hubby and I just spent a ton of money on a used truck. Have been searching for a horse trailer so that we can haul the horses that we bought that are 177 miles away home before the end of the month so that we don't have to pay another month of board for these guys. Find a horse trailer, DH drives 200 plus miles to check it out, then buys it, then our new to us truck goes belly up. He is now completely stuck and it looks as though the whole engine (can you believe it!) may need to be replaced. The thing has less that 54,000 miles on it! So yesterday I don't know if I am going to have to drive to get him or if I was still suposed to meet him where the horses are, or what. On top of that my water goes. Nothing in the tank (live in the country). Nothing. Just no water in the summer heat. And what kills me is that this is the gazillionth time this summer that I have had major problems with the water system that DH has supposedly fixed. Errr.. So now I have a good bit more work to do hauling water to everyone from the spring. LOL. But before I know the water is gone I realize that perchance maybe my hens don't look like crap because of old Mr. Roo, but maybe it is mites. LOL, and yes, it is. And so I dust them and am now covered in Pesticide with all kinds of nice warning lables and can not take a shower. And thennnnn... I have a dog who developed some swelling a couple of days ago, looked very much like the same allergic reaction she had to heaven knows what last month, so I put her on antihistimines(sp?) and when I saw her in the morning it was huge. Was getting ready to call the vet because this obviously needed something more, and wam-o the thing ruptures and turns out to be one of the worst abscesses I have ever seen. Errr. So off to surgery with the dog. And, I have one little chick that I decided to help half in the shell having a horrible time, and I am nervous that it may have somthing wrong and I maybe should've just let nature handle things after all. Some days, I swear! LOL. OH, yeah. And DD chipped her tooth. Seriously!

Hugs all around! And I'd buy you all a round if we had a BYC bar! LOL.

Last edited:
Quote:
Did DH and the horses make it home? You left me in suspense there! I hope the well is up and functional again. Lousy news on the truck!

Back
Top Bottom