Owl Attack, Neck is Raw (Bloody Pics Warning)

I like that! I am glad to hear yours made it, gives me hope for my girl. She is such a sweet girl, I just can't stand seeing her hurt like this.

That seems to be the thing with poultry. They go through some really rough stuff and it seems if we keep them clean and comfortable (and maybe baby them a little) they pull through even with the most awful injuries! I had a hen duck that was attacked by an owl or hawk and I could actually hear her breath coming out of the hole in her back! I bandaged her up after a good cleaning/drying and she recovered perfectly.
Keep her quiet and clean and I bet she will be OK! Good luck--Terri O in WI​

Update: Phyllis made it through the night
smile.png
...........and is now at the vet's. He is going to try and see if he can get any skin to cover any of it, and will call me in a few hours. He did say ducks are tough, and he's seen injuries similar heal up, so I am a little hopeful. I'll post later when I know more. Thank you again everyone for you help and support, it really helped me feel better about things.

sad.png
Well, the vet called and told me she was ready to be picked up. I was in the room with him as he was explaining that he had been able to stitch enough skin over it to cover it 90%, and was giving me care instructions, when the assistant came in and got him. Phyllis had passed. It's so sad, she was the sweetest little girl, I think maybe she just got too stressed. I got her as an adult, and she was always kind of the runt that no one wanted to be with. I kept thinking she would be better as a house duck, but I couldn't manage that, now I wish I could have. I really thought she would make it...........I just think she was too weak. I think I will go feed and play with my other ducks, then come back and go to bed. Not in the mood for much else right now. I know it's stupid to wonder these things, but now I kind of wonder if she would have done better if I hadn't taken her to the vet and she hadn't gotten so stressed...........I'll never know, and at least I know she isn't in pain any more.

We had a similar situation recently with an owl attacking our wild eastern turkeys. Our one hen's neck looked very similar and we chose to put her down to end her suffering. I was wondering if we made the right decision and we were so heartbroken to let her go. We'll never know.
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry you lost your girl too.

Back
Top Bottom