Ownder Defends Business

PineappleMama

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Deep In The Left Atrium Of TX
http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_Two_men_shot_0701.f844d4cb.html

JUSTIN -- Two men were taken by air ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth after being shot Thursday morning during an apparent theft near Justin, sheriff’s officials said.

Dispatchers received a call at 6:05 a.m. that a business owner discovered two men attempting to steal an air conditioning unit from his business, Team Texas High Performance Driving School, in the 9000 block of Industrial Road near Justin, said Sheriff’s spokesman Tom Reedy.

The business owner fired two shots from a shotgun, striking both men in the abdomen, said Sgt. Roger Griggs said.

Joseph Vergal Prescott, 53, of Grand Praire is in critical condition while Michael Allen O’Shea, 55, of Irving is in stable condition, Reedy said.

No charges have been filed against the two injured men or the business owner, and authorities are still investigating.

I find it a good sign that of the 25 comments only 1 knocks the owner... and mainly because of the cost to the taxpayers for these morons medical care... but then Texas IS considered a "red state"... wonder what folks would be commenting if this happened in Chicago?

As to them suing him... I hope like hades they don't... as I doubt they'll be having a sympathetic jury anywhere near here... but also for the owner's sake... one more reason I think there should be something on the books about "The inherent risk of criminal activities"... like there is for equine activities.

I guess they won't be needing the air conditioner, now that they've been ventilated.
lol.png

Oh that was bad.... *she says AFTER she stops laughing*

A lot of businesses, churches, even homes (particularly new construction) have been having problems with people stealing their A/C, more specifically the copper out of it... probably what these losers were up to... but you'd think someone their age would know better.

We recently had a case here where a liquor store worker was being robbed (armed) and he shot and killed both assailants. He was an older gentleman. It got a lot of comments and the two people who stood up for the "poor" victims got beat down themselves pretty fast.

Quote:
Mama, Texas is also one of the best states to live in for the castle doctrines. You are not only allowed to protect yourself and family, you are allowed to protect your property as well.

The sad thing is that he likely will be sued for shooting them. One of the first things that I did when I moved to Tennessee from Illinois was to get my concealed weapon carry permit. One of the things that was stressed was that if you will almost assuredly be sued if you shoot anyone. it may not be the shootee, it might be a spouse or a child. But you might have to mount a legal defense.

Quote:
thats the wonderful thing about the Castle Doctrines. Those folks were in the process of stealing his property. Unless they can prove otherwise, they have absolutely no case to sue him. The doctrines specifically spell out that if an owner opts for lethal force, then he will not be held liable for injury to those he shot.

Didn't we used to hang horse thieves back in the day? Didn't thieves used to have one hand chopped off so they couldn't steal again? I know it sounds harsh, but as a country we are soft on drugs, we are soft on crime, and the nuts are running the madhouse.

Quote:
thats the wonderful thing about the Castle Doctrines. Those folks were in the process of stealing his property. Unless they can prove otherwise, they have absolutely no case to sue him. The doctrines specifically spell out that if an owner opts for lethal force, then he will not be held liable for injury to those he shot.

Didn't we used to hang horse thieves back in the day? Didn't thieves used to have one hand chopped off so they couldn't steal again? I know it sounds harsh, but as a country we are soft on drugs, we are soft on crime, and the nuts are running the madhouse.

Amen.

But what we have to remember, is that even though America may not be what it was, it still is the best place to live, by far, in the world.

Dissenting view here:

I don't think an air conditioner is worth a human life. If the thieves were in the home, or threatening the man, I would feel differently.

Last edited:
mom'sfolly :

Dissenting view here:

I don't think an air conditioner is worth a human life. If the thieves were in the home, or threatening the man, I would feel differently.

Then the robbers should've thought of that. IMHO when a person does something illegal then they take their chances. If they get shot then it really boils down to it was their choice.​

Back
Top Bottom