Oxytetracycline and baycox?

Yes, my friend is treating her beloved hen for a corid resistant strain of coccidia. Evil things! She is also using penicillin now for a "maybe" infection. She did have a vet confirm this yesterday. The hen is barely eating and is pale. She is giving Poultry cell for the paleness, in case the hen is anemic, is giving probiotics, and electrolytes as well. We're just not sure if a good b complex can be given while on toltrazuril. I am trying to find research specifically about that, but am not seeing anything. I know that b vitamins (thiamine) shouldn't be given when birds are being treated for coccidiosis with Corid.

Hi @Chickerella2012
I've used both PenG and BayCox. Not at the same time.
PenG is a general antibiotic. BayCox is a coccidiocide not a coccidiostat.
PenG kills any bacteria it comes in contact with. BayCox kills only gut protozoa.
Being a Coccidiocide, BayCox does NOT stop the absorption of Thiamine. Instead, it destroys the cell membranes surrounding the protozoa at all life stages, effectively killing it. For this reason, B Complex can be used at the same time as BayCox although it really shouldn't be mixed into the solution, given that when using BayCox it is supposed to be the only source of water for a given time period. During intervals between treatments, B complex can be used.

Pen G tends to target bacteria in the throat, hair and on the skin. It is used to treat staph infections. It will not interfere with treating for Cocci, because it can't attack protozoa.

While we love to research, and knew plenty of this, it's always awesome to have the awesome peeps at the byc forum confirm! I just wasn't sure, even with toltrazuril being a coccidiocide, if b complex was ok to give. Thank you all so much! Her hen just ate 12 mealworms and breathing seems better also. She is doing all the dosing of meds in increments. Waits hours in between before giving something. I did recommend giving the b complex injectable as injection and not orally, simply because it works well for my chickies when ill. She does give penicillin orally I believe, on bread, baycox orally as well.

Back
Top Bottom