Ozone Alert

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 1_FnkyFrm, Jul 21, 2010.

1. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    I was just wondering how many other citys and towns get them? If so what are your readings? Has anyone ever taken in to the effect on how it is affecting our chickens and chicks? I read how alot of chickens have alot of respiratory infections.( Not that mine are sick) Do you think air pollutant could be a contributor to the respiratory infections? I've had some sinus problems here lately... I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say about this....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Not worried about it.... nothing we can do about it anyways at this point. IMO

3. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Cities have ozone alerts?

4. 1_FnkyFrm

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Redhen you MIGHT NOT but SUM ARE! There are things that can be done to help it! Yes they do have ozone alerts..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yes, i know that some are.... i understand. I'm just not one of them...

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Yes, i know that some are.... i understand. I'm just not one of them...

[​IMG]

this a serious post?

7. 1_FnkyFrm

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Serious as in?

8. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Yep, we get them. From the end of July to the end of August our air is pretty well unsafe. I don't need an alert to tell me this, my asthma usually lets me know.

9. 1_FnkyFrm

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Do you know of anything to help with the affects?

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    In NY I always got migraines when the ozone levels were high. I don't seem to have the same issues in Texas, but I don't think the ozone levels here get as high as they did in the Hudson Valley.

As for what you can do about it...stay indoors and don't do things that contribute to higher levels. Don't run small engines like gas mowers, gas trimmers, and personal water craft. Don't fill your gas tank, and drive as little as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by