Paging JoeBryant. JoeBryant to the HELP desk, please!

Last edited:
hahaha!

It works the same way!

Fermented foods are good for a body. That's one reason a glass of red wine or a tipple of the spirits is good for your digestion.

I like kraut.. but 2 gallons??
th.gif

Quote:
I am looking at them now.

Do your children follow this path of your homemade fermented food choices, joe?

My daughter is a certifiable health food NUT. She travels all over the world going to school and giving lectures on "living foods". She doesn't even have a stove in her house if that gives you any idea of...
Anyway, she's the one that got us started on the Harsch crock kraut. All of our kraut has been delicious, but the last batch we made was the best ever, lots of other vegetables added, including a beet that made it all red. Not only was it the best tasting ever, it looked too pretty to eat. Anne's having her hair done right now; when whe gets home I'll post the recipe on here and the kraut thread.

Last edited:
Found the recipe:

She calls it Veggie Kraut.
This is for a 5 liter Harsch crock.

6 lbs. shredded cabbage (weigh the heads)
1/2 of small head of red cabbage - shredded
4 ounces dry dulce flakes (buy at health food store)
3/8 cup (6 Tbsp) of sea salt
1 Tbsp ground caraway see
1 Tbsp garlic powder
Mix and pound
After pounding
ADD the following vegetable after they've been put through
the small chopper plate of a Vidalia Chopper.
1/2 head cauliflower (no stems - use only small floret pieces)
3 peppers - red, orange, yellow
4 carrots
2 medium beets
2 medium turnips
2 tsp red pepper flakes

Mix all together and put in the Harsch crock for two weeks.

Last edited:
BTW, what we have in the Harsch pot fermenting right now is a low salt mix using the same recipe above; however, with this one we only added two cups of COOLED hot water with 2 Tbsp of sea salt.
I've read in several books and on web sites that you can make kraut in a Harsch crock with no salt whatsoever, but I'm afraid to try that.
We started this batch Nov. 13, so it won't be ready until the 27th.

EDIT: If you don't use distilled water, you have to boil water from the tap to burn off the chlorine in the tap water, i.e., you can't have chlorine in the kraut because it will kill the fermentation bacteria.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom