Paint or vinyl flooring for coop?

SusanME

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Maine
We're finally starting our coop tomorrow! We're building this- but with a shed roof
https://myoutdoorplans.com/animals/large-chicken-coop-plans/

The one thing I forgot to do when I was in town today was to hit the surplus & salvage store and look for a vinyl flooring remnant. I'm going to call the closer-by lumberyards tomorrow morning, and I've put the word out on barter & swap & with friends, but I'm not driving half an hour into town when I could be finally building this coop.

Someone suggested a couple of layers of deck paint. I guess I could caulk the seams and get decent coverage... Has anybody here painted instead of put down flooring? I've heard about the rubberized coating (blackjack?), but I have trouble with strong chemical smells, so I don't think that will work for us. Thanks! 8x10 coop overview.jpg

For the record, I'm guessing Black Jack is like Henrys or POR 15. Both are excellent products, and I've used them in different applications. I just used vinyl because......well...….because!
I got a big remnant for $10. Tought to beat and will make cleaning so much easier. I have not caulked the edges but thinking I should despite hubby thinking unnecessary. ;)

You absolutely need to put quality silicone around ALL edges. Moisture will find it's way in there and not only will the adhesive start to degrade, that moisture will get trapped between the vinyl and the wood, and rot will occur,,,,,,pretty quickly. I can't state it enuff,,,,,,,,quality clear silicone. Or I guess white would be OK. If you start getting rot, you have a major repair job that will require substantial disassembly of the coop floor. Besides, if it's all sealed up, you can hose out the coop with no worries.

You absolutely need to put quality silicone around ALL edges. Moisture will find it's way in there and not only will the adhesive start to degrade, that moisture will get trapped between the vinyl and the wood, and rot will occur,,,,,,pretty quickly. I can't state it enuff,,,,,,,,quality clear silicone. Or I guess white would be OK. If you start getting rot, you have a major repair job that will require substantial disassembly of the coop floor. Besides, if it's all sealed up, you can hose out the coop with no worries.
Read this to my husband "probably a good idea" *facepalm* ;) I wanted to do this up front! They have only been in there 3 days, build good and tight from rain in the meantime.

if
No problem…..throw their scrawny butts in the run. A 3 dollar tube of goo, a water bottle, and ur thumb. It'll dry in a couple hours and ur good to go.
Run complete except the roof, which is ready to go if it ever stops raining. Then time to figure out how to keep our old farm dog from terrorizing them from the other side of the hardware cloth! The shelter we rescued him from 4 years ago NOW tells me he was a chicken killer as a youngster. I see another fence coming!

Back
Top Bottom