Pair of ringneck doves of many years split (male chased away the female)

featheredgog

Hatching
May 5, 2022
Hello,

As per the title. My pair of wild ringneck doves that I had visiting me and staying at my balcony every day for years suddenly changed behavior. The male apparently found a new female and they started chasing his old spouse with great aggressiveness. The female sought protection at my hands in fact she stayed on my hands/shoulder for many hours while her former spouse was trying to attack her and while his new spouse was also waiting on the side for an opening to chase.

Long story short, for the last 2-3 days now the old female hasn't appeared for food (She had been coming since at least 2017 daily) and her former spouse brings his new female to the balcony where he shows her how he eats from my hand and then flies next to her in a way that puts her between him and my hand. She already started eating from my hand btw.

I am worried about the old female which is beautiful bird I loved so much. I am afraid she was literally chased and killed I can't imagine she got so scared that shes not coming to eat and drink. They were a beautiful pair that over the years became hand tamed and they were even only drinking water if I offered it. Very sad how this developed. Any ideas what might have happened? Many thanks and sorry for the long post.

Thank you for your response. Is it possible that he actually killed her though because I find it very unusual that the bird hasn't come for food and water in 3 days now while the male is per his routine. He has been chasing her with great hostility for 2-3 days prior to her dissappearance.

Ringneck doves are extremely territorial, and she will no longer be allowed in the territory. She has had to move on to find another place to live. As long as she could fly away, he wouldn't have killed her. That only happens in cages.

Hello again I am happy to report that the female is back with a new mate and the chasing seems to have stopped for now. So there is now two new pairs that come to visit and be fed at different hours. I hope this lasts. Still from what I have been reading this sort of behavior is rare(?). I would like to thank you all for your responses and feedback. I will keep you posted as events warrant. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom