Pair of white silkies had black chicks..

revampedfashion

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 31, 2013
I have 2 silkie young hens and one silkie roo. He is the only roo I have. I thought I would try to let them hatch a couple of eggs.. Well they didn't survive unfortunately.. Both were shrink wrapped. I opened them up and was shocked to see black chicks! The only other hen I have that lays white eggs is a tolbunt polish and I am positive they weren't her eggs because the silkie eggs are more "pointy" looking.. How common is this? have a pic to post if anyone is interested.. It is a sad pic though
1f614.png

I have 2 silkie young hens and one silkie roo. He is the only roo I have. I thought I would try to let them hatch a couple of eggs.. Well they didn't survive unfortunately.. Both were shrink wrapped. I opened them up and was shocked to see black chicks! The only other hen I have that lays white eggs is a tolbunt polish and I am positive they weren't her eggs because the silkie eggs are more "pointy" looking.. How common is this? have a pic to post if anyone is interested.. It is a sad pic though
1f614.png
Quite common. Unless you know the background of the birds it is very possible that they have hidden traits that show up in the young.

Last edited:
I have white Silkies from SQ stock. They've not had a black bird ancestor for at least five generations, and over 5 years of breeding, they've thrown 3 black chicks. It's even more common if you don't know their 'ancestors' so it's perfectly normal :) I think it's fun. I have a pen of non-SQ birds that I still breed, all kinds of colour mixes in there, and I never know what I'm gonna get! Good luck hatching babies in the future :)

White is a shut-off switch, preventing colors and patterns from showing. So having a non-white chick result from a pairing is not unusual.

White is a shut-off switch, preventing colors and patterns from showing. So having a non-white chick result from a pairing is not unusual.

Actually, having anything other than a white chick from a white to white pairing is EXTREMELY unusual. White ot non-white is completely unpredictable, although I would not tyically expect white offspring when one parent is not white.

Now that paints are becoming more common, it is becoming a possibility for non-white chicks, if one of the white parents comes from a paint background, as paint is dominant white, not recessive.

Back
Top Bottom