Pairs

shwestleigh

In the Brooder
May 25, 2021
I did my list for males and female in my existing pekin flock and found I have three males, I just picked up a male mallard and male khaki to break it up a bit but now my ratio is a little off and my bf got the pekins for meat (mainly the males will be used for this) and we’d keep one male for breeding. My dilemma is a family member has become attached to one of my males (Fred) and doesn’t want us to butcher him, however I have a female/male set that are inseparable and my female is only showing him the moves for her coming into maturity, he’s still oblivious. I don’t want to get rid of him if she’s bonded to him but I have to get rid of at least two to even out my ratio to male and females. Need some advice on if I should just get rid of one male or get more females, I don’t really want more but I guess I can if I have to, to make it work, or just get rid of my extra males for meat which is partially why we got the pekins.

Has the family member shown any interest in having one of the drakes for his own place? Very hard on females to have to many drakes so your choices come down to more females or butcher extras or pen up the extra drakes separate.

Has the family member shown any interest in having one of the drakes for his own place? Very hard on females to have to many drakes so your choices come down to more females or butcher extras or pen up the extra drakes separate.
It’s my sister in law, she loves helping me with the deal but my brother is strictly against having birds or any kind so unfortunately no, I was thinking that but would they attack eachother like this mallards doing to the khaki male? Thank you

Some will. But if your already seeing this I doubt you could keep these 2 together. Some drakes can be relentless too and kill other drakes mating them to death.

Back
Top Bottom