1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Today I let my girls out because it is the first warm day in 2 weeks. It had been near 0F or just above. She is eating well, acting fine and just got over a moult. Anything I should be concerned with??? I checked her for parasites and have not found any.

2. luvzmychickens

luvzmychickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    2 of my chickens have the same thing... [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a hen whos comb is pale she also is just finally getting back her feathers after moult, If they are eating and acting fine I don't think it's anything to worry about, they just haven't come back into lay yet. I just check her over real good for mites or lice and make sure her poo looks normal.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Once the hen starts laying again her comb will darken back to red. Non-laying hens' combs are much paler than laying hens' combs. Nothing to worry about except waiting for the eggs to start coming again.

Good luck.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    If it's 0 degrees outside I'm not surprised. I've noticed that a couple hens' combs darken during the colder months. It will redden up once the weather gets warmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by