Pale-faced bantam, and and random illnesses around the coop. Can you help me put my facts together?

enliten

Hatching
Oct 30, 2020
I've got this tiny 1lb Serama I've had for a year. She came with toes falling off from what I now suspect is really severe scaly leg mites, and she's down to one toe on each foot, and gets regular leg treatments to help the mites. She was in isolation in December while clearly in some pain from her toes. The feet seem fine now, but at the end of her isolation, she got sick with something else. before you ask, there's no vet I've found within 3 hours of here that will see a chicken, and we're in lockdown, so I'm kinda winging it.

She was breathing heavily and a bit wheezy. VERY hungry and very thin. One day I found her with an eye frozen shut, but no noticable discharge. I fed and watered anything she wanted (tomatoes and eggs) by hand twice daily, a few hot baths and some vap-o-rub. Looked pretty critical for a few weeks. For a bit, while she was breathing heavily, I could see her inhale, her nostril would puff up, and then a little tiny bit of air would suck in from the corner of her eyelid!!! A few times one side of her face looked swollen.

Eventually a weird head movement put me onto thinking gapeworm. I couldn't see anything down her tiny throat, so I ran a 5-day course of safeguard anyway.
That was almost 3 weeks ago, and she's perked up a bunch, but her head is still really pale. Almost a yellow tint (if it were liver-related, my research says she'd be dead by now.) Her peacomb is shriveled and kinda greyish. Anemia? Her feathers seem a little brittle and scraggly especially on head and tail, which could just be a product of being trampled by bigger birds, or a lack of nutrients?

Now, I feel she might pull through fine with time, but last night I found my oldest hen (9 yrs!) on death's doorstep with either thrush or trichomoniasis -- totally unexpected, except she had a stuffy nose back in December. I tried to hydrate and give pedialyte, but she didn't make the night. I didn't see that coming! She had tons of cheesy thrush and laboured breathing, runny eyes.

Around the coop I sometimes hear a few wheezy breaths at night. I've given the three culprits a look-over, but I don't see signs of thrush and no confirmed gapeworm.
I don't know what to do next. Do I spend the time giving all 45 chickens and ducks a dose of safeguard? 5 days of doses? Ivermectin in the water (for leg mites?) I brought my feeders and waterers in to sanitize, and will be adding ACV to water for a while. How about my pale-faced bantam?

Attachments

• 20201201_160957.jpg
    20201201_160957.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 9
If she’s had a respiratory infection in the past, then it could be back even worse. Respiratory infections in poultry are chronic- meaning symptoms will go away, but reappear whoever stressed again. All birds that were exposed by her, are asymptomatic carriers for life as well as her. Don’t breed from your birds to sell to others as some respiratory diseases can be passed from hen to chick (via vertically through the eggs of developing embryos). Keep a closed flock- meaning, no bring in any birds and don’t let any birds leave off your property.

have you checked her for lice or mites or even worms? Parasites suck the life out of birds, making them weak, lethargic and uninterested in anything. Coccidiosis is also a possibility as well.
I do keep a closed flock. We brought in a sick bird a few years ago and it caused a lot of chaos, so we decided never again.

She has the scaly leg mites, so I've been soaking in mineral oil and offering a dust bath with lots of fresh DE for everyone. I bought some Ivermectin for a dose for all, and the little hen had a 5-day course of Safeguard for worms. I do suspect the little bird has parasites or worms or anemia or something now, not the respiratory issue so much.

Can you post some clearer pictures of her? That one is kind of blurry. Safeguard isn't working because it's probably not gapeworm. Gapeworm is actually very uncommon, and the wheezing is generally due to another disease. How are her poops? Does the have nasal discharge? If you feed her correctly than vitamins aren't the culprit (and they wouldn't cause respiratory problems). How often do you clean out the coop? Separate all the sick birds from the healthy ones, you don't want this to spread.

If you're suspecting trichomoniasis does their breath smell bad? The lesions can be further down their trachea or in their systems. I had never heard of this until a month ago. I lost one little rooster who also did the gapeing movement. Since then I have individually treated any that did the gape like movement or had the bad breath that goes with it with metronidazole (fishzole) and now acidified copper sulfate in their water for a few days each month.

If she’s had a respiratory infection in the past, then it could be back even worse. Respiratory infections in poultry are chronic- meaning symptoms will go away, but reappear whoever stressed again. All birds that were exposed by her, are asymptomatic carriers for life as well as her. Don’t breed from your birds to sell to others as some respiratory diseases can be passed from hen to chick (via vertically through the eggs of developing embryos). Keep a closed flock- meaning, no bring in any birds and don’t let any birds leave off your property.

have you checked her for lice or mites or even worms? Parasites suck the life out of birds, making them weak, lethargic and uninterested in anything. Coccidiosis is also a possibility as well.

If you're suspecting trichomoniasis does their breath smell bad? The lesions can be further down their trachea or in their systems. I had never heard of this until a month ago. I lost one little rooster who also did the gapeing movement. Since then I have individually treated any that did the gape like movement or had the bad breath that goes with it with metronidazole (fishzole) and now acidified copper sulfate in their water for a few days each month.
I'm uploading a video right now. I found a bird with eyes frozen shut. I googled that, and I feel lots have symptoms of infectious coryza. Why are there so many illnesses?!?!

I am having a ton of trouble finding dugs online. Can't buy things like that at feed stores here, and no chicken vet. Anything I can find is 6 weeks shipping. I don't think some girls have that long if things go south.

Last edited:
Can you post some clearer pictures of her? That one is kind of blurry. Safeguard isn't working because it's probably not gapeworm. Gapeworm is actually very uncommon, and the wheezing is generally due to another disease. How are her poops? Does the have nasal discharge? If you feed her correctly than vitamins aren't the culprit (and they wouldn't cause respiratory problems). How often do you clean out the coop? Separate all the sick birds from the healthy ones, you don't want this to spread.
I made a quick video of three victims. I missed the first one doing some neck stretching moves:

Back
Top Bottom